1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another onslaught against Maths. A little joined up thinking please...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by rohirrim, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Surely it's about making progress by the end of the lesson.
    And with the L1-5+ (as I had in one Y4 class ) it is damn near impossible.
    Anyhow if the observer does not see the end product you can't identify progress. Needed to see books at the end of the lesson.
    But I was told that i had to differentiate my teaching from the start and i had to do w/c teaching. i asked how- the HT nor inspector could not answer the question. I was told to ask my colleagues as my planning needed developing.

2. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

So if you have 30 min lessons you have 30 mins to show progress has been made by every student whereas if you have 70 minute lessons you have over twice as long to show progress. So, to be fair, with 30 minute lessons you should be able to show progress at the end of every two lessons!

3. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Come on guys - don't you all do mini plenaries and demonstrate progress every 10-15 minutes against a miriad of differentiated learning objectives - seriously what are you playing at!

4. RabiaZeshan

RabiaZeshan New commenter

I hate to show evidence of progress. We shouldn't forget the fact that when we rush pupils to show progress they might understand and complete work but they will forget it very quickly as well. Maths is about practice and we must make sure that pupils have practiced enough to retain and remember the concepts.
    I recently have a drop in and has been given red grade as few pupils were saying that they haven't understood trigonometric ratios. At once instance there were 2 pupils out of 31 who haven't understood the work with in first 10 minutes . I went to them individually to explain the work but got red as I haven't addressed them at the same time. Observer did mention that they were at the opposite end of the classroom . I don't know how I could have divided my self into two to help them at the same time. Though I have mentioned clearly to work in pairs and help each other.