1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Another one thinking of teaching!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Libramoon175, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Libramoon175

Libramoon175 New commenter

Hi everyone!

I've been thinking of teaching for a few years now, and as the idea hasn't gone away, I want to explore it more!

From 2010 - 2012, I tutored English and maths to primary aged students - including 2 who just moved here from Saudi Arabia and were learning English, one who was shockingly behind, and one who was very bright. And one who wanted to sit on the table and count my eyelashes instead of doing maths. I loved teaching these kids!

I also volunteered in a kindergarten and grade 1 class when I was studying abroad in the U.S. many years ago (I'm 30 now).

I have English and maths GCSE, English language and literature A level at grade B, and a degree in professional and creative writing.

I'm really trying to decide between primary and secondary, and as well as interviewing for teaching assistant roles, I'm planning on getting as many days of observation in schools as possible. But I think I'm leaning more towards primary, especially as my degree isn't in English so I'm not sure that would even qualify me for being a secondary English teacher.

I've heard so many 'horror' stories about being a teacher. The crazy 60 hour weeks, Ofsted inspections, observations etc. But even with all that, I still want to do it (I think! - I haven't been in a school yet!) I want to do something with my life that I'll enjoy.

So my plan is this:
    - get as many days as I can in a variety of schools observing, to make sure this is the pathway for me and to be confident in my decision about primary teaching.
    - try and get work as a teaching assistant - interview lined up for Thursday
    - apply for the school direct salaried route, either this year or next, depending on my experience.

Is there anything else I could do to boost my chances of getting a place on school direct?

Thanks in advance!