1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another nail in the coffin of early entry GCSE

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by DM, Nov 18, 2011.

1. DM

DM New commenter

2. Very interesting reading. Actually it's not interesting, it's exactly what I already knew but what my SMT/HoD don't seem able to grasp.
    Now how to make them aware of this document without implying that I think their decision making regarding early entry is poor?

3. DM

DM New commenter

Tthe current Year 10 are the final cohort who will be permitted to enter early so you may as well keep your own counsel.
    The burning question is who were the two children who sat GCSE mathematics SIX times by the end of Year 11?

4. They're the victims of a disgraceful SMT who should be ashamed of themselves. My school is literally obsessed with entering early. In fact there are no "Higher" GCSE groups in theory. EVERY student sits a foundation exam at some point, before progressing to the Higher only once a C has been secured. It's shameful.
    Thanks for the info - I was unaware that early entry was being prohibited in the future. Does this mean that the current year 9 cohort onwards will only be allowed to sit their GCSE Maths at the end of Year 11?

5. DM

DM New commenter

Yes. The current Year 9 may only sit exams in June 2014 if they are taking the single GCSE.

6. pencho

pencho New commenter

I'm too tired to argue as everyone knows my stance on this. I also can't fully get my head around the statistics in the document and may look at it another time - although probably won't/
    If Mr Gove decides to get rid of early entry then that is his decision. We work within the rules and framework that we are provided. In my opinion it is all about the quality of teaching more than anything else.
    I feel quite content that every single one of our students is pushed to achieve the best that they can (and for some it does involve early entry). We will see what happens.
    Thanks for the link to the document DM.

7. pencho

pencho New commenter

DM. Where has this information been published. The changes to exams consultation talked about End of Course, not end of Y11. Conversation with OFQUAL assured me of this.

8. DM

DM New commenter

Pencho, I'm pretty sure you are the only person who believes the "end of the course" may mean something other than the end of Year 11.

9. I do agree that Early Entry is appropriate in some cases. If a student is able to achieve an A* on their GCSE at the end of Year 10, then they should have the opportunity to do so, enabling them to go on to do something at a higher level in year 11. However the abuse I have witnessed of early entry has been damaging to students' education, not beneficial. Main reasons against early entry that I can see:
    - focus on exams rather than quality teaching
    - grade B/A/A* students preparing for a Foundation paper to sit early when they should never even see a Foundation paper
    - students becoming complacent when they've secured a grade C and thus grade B/A students not fulfilling their potential, which they are more likely to have achieved had they not entered early
    - knock on impact of the point above at A-level as too much time has been wasted on early entries instead of preparing students for Higher GCSE Maths algebra/trigonometry which means students are less equipped for A-levle than had they just focused on terminal GCSE Higher at the appropriate time
    Glad something is being done to address this.

10. DM

DM New commenter

"How do these changes affect students in Year 9 starting three year GCSE courses in September 2011?
    The changes will mean that candidates sitting GCSEs in 2014 will be required to sit all their examinations at the end of the course. Students starting three-year course in September 2011 will be expecting to apply for certification in summer 2014 and therefore will need to enter for all units in June 2014."
    http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/help-and-support/94-articles/664-gcse-unitisation-faqs

11. Couldn't 'End of Course' mean they could sit their GCSE at the end of year 10, they just wouldn't be allowed to sit a GCSE in year 11? So this could still work for higher ability students who want to get A* on GCSE in year 10, but then leave GCSE alone and do something different in year 11?

12. pencho

pencho New commenter

Thanks for the put down DM. But I don't think I am the only person to believe this.

13. DM

DM New commenter

It wasn't a put down and I couldn't find anyone else pencho (I did look). I'll pm you atics.

14. I feel left out now :(

15. pencho

pencho New commenter

Maybe you needed to read the large number of comments on the OFQUAL website. They are largely negative about what is going on.
    Essentially what you are saying is that there can only be one curriculum model (GCSE's at end of Y11 in a linear format). I'm not convinced this is what the consultation was saying at all, but we will just have to see.
    So are you saying a Y9 student could not undertake a 1 year GCSE course from 2014.

16. pencho

pencho New commenter

Also none of the awarding body websites in their summary of the 'proposed' changes say that end of course is end of Y11. They seem to be interpreting this as when you sit the exam (i.e. apply for the subject award). Can they really stipulate when students apply for a subject award?

17. pencho

pencho New commenter

How does an exam board know that a student entering the course is in Y11?
    What will happen to adult students? Students who are held back a year or accelerated a year (I've known plenty in my time)?
    What happens post 16? When is end of course for their courses?
    What about adult learners. When is their end of course?

18. DM

DM New commenter

End of course only applies to KS4.

19. pencho

pencho New commenter

20. DM

DM New commenter

The common theme of many of those posts was "Oh no, not more change". We all feel like that.