1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another Morgan initiative that misses by a thousand miles ....

Discussion in 'Education news' started by pixiewixiepixie, Jan 21, 2016.

1. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

"She announced that the government was planning to introduce a website that would allow teachers to "share best practice about character education, evaluate new ideas and find online professional development materials."

"https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...r-shortages-my-top-priority-says-nicky-morgan

Unfortunately, she has forgotten that teachers generally do not have the time to share best practice, evaluate new ideas or look for (let alone take up) online professional development opportunities. Every day for many full-time teachers is a battle to keep noses above choppy seas, snorting in air when an opportunity arises so they can continue to thrash around on the surface in an ever-increasing panic rather than sink, drowned, to the bottom of the sea. She just doesn't get it. Every new thing, however well-meaning, crushes teaches further. No one has the time for anything new, ever.

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I do not think the link ( about teacher shortages) supplied has much to do with your comments about character education where teachers mostly just need to be good role models.

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Statements like give a bad impression - teaching is not the only busy profession, and most teachers are perfectly capable of maintaining CPD.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Most teachers wish to maintain their CPD, but do not always have time to go looking for ideas, particularly in their own space at the end of a long working day.
    School managers wish there to be CPD, but want to control the overall direction of it and prefer not to have most teachers doing CPD instead of their core role of teaching children. Given the demands on school managements I am unsurprised by this.
    It was a source of regret to me that in my last decade or so of teaching, I only really met colleagues from other schools when on interview or as a result of my social life (e.g. Mrs P).

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Yeh where has all that CPD gone? When you did your PM you could choose what courses you wanted for your own development. All you get now is 'in house' CPD run by SLT who have been on loads of courses.