1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another miserable thread...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lillipad, Jan 5, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Sorry guys for another one of these. I posted a while back about possibly visiting a doctor because I was feeling so down... And now things have taken a turn in my life where I feel like I need some help, but am worried the doctor will turn me away again like last time. I pretty much got shrugged off, but then it wasn't my normal doctor and a stand in instead... I don't want to be fobbed off again with 'keeping diaries' and things again and it's putting me off going, having to justify a case... what do i do?

2. Go to another doctor. Let them know that it took courage for you to persist in trying to get help as you were shrugged off before. In my experience, the attitude towards depression varies a lot amongst GPs. Hopefully you will go back and see somebody who takes you seriously.
    When I was an undergraduate, for various reasons, I was very depressed. I used to have panic attacks and cut myself with broken glass when I was drunk. I was eventually pursuaded to see a GP who fobbed me off with this kind of ********. I persisted and the next one took me seriously straight away, putting me on decent medication and getting me into counselling.
    Did you let the first doctor know exactly how serious it was for you? Some people have exactly the OPPOSITE problem but other people get embarrassed and understate things. I recently walked around for 2 days with a broken ankle because I was sure it couldn't be anything too serious, even when I went to A&E I was apologising to the doctor because it was 'probably nothing'. It's a very hard thing to do, to sit down and reveal so much of your inner self to a stranger. I took a list, the second time, with all the things I thought they should know. Not only did it mean I didn't get flustered and forget something, but reading aloud made me feel somehow detatched from the whole mortifyng situation, almost as if I was describing somebody else, and helped me be more frank with her. Maybe that would help you, too?
    What do you do? In short, go back. If your normal doctor isn't back yet, ask who you'll be seeing and make sure it isn't the same one as last time. Much luck xx

3. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Gosh, you poor thing but you made me laugh as this is exactly what I am like!
    I think you have to be firm sometimes and change doctors if needs be. My last surgery were quite dismissive and sometimes a bit abrupt. I only realise this now as I am with a new practice due to a house move and honestly, the doctors couldn't be nicer. I've had to go three times since November which I was really embarrassed about as I was concerned I looked like a hypochondriac but all the different symptoms I had could potentially have been so serious.
    Mental health isn't any different, in some ways, it can make you very poorly but moreover stop you from living and fully enjoying life. I am physically unwell at the moment and I can't do some of the things I enjoy doing such as horse-riding, body combat classes, eating out with my friends (can't face food!) but I know I am getting better and need to rest as much as possible. Life should be for the most part enjoyable and if either mental or physical health impedes on that a doctor can help. Good luck. x

4. Hi

First of all *big hug* I'm sorry to hear that you're still not 'well' (for want of a better word) and that the first GP you saw was unsympathetic.

Second, I echo the excellent advice already given to you on here! I took a list of how I felt etc with me (which I'd drawn up using the NHS guides on depression) as I was also worried that I was wasting my GP's time and that I wouldn't be able to explain what my problem was without howling the place down! I did cry a lot (which I found embarrassing because I'd told myself not to beforehand) but she was very good about it and assured me that I wasn't wasting her time which was a relief. In hindsight, I was embarrassed but think it was good that I cried in a way, as she could see for herself what I'd written down.

My suggestion to you is that when you make an appointment, you could do what I did and ask for an appointment with a GP who you know that you would be more comfortable with (as I did) and when you see the GP (if you feel you can, explain what happened to you on here as you have to us and how angry/upset or even worse you feel because of it). I'm sure he/she will not be impressed with how the previous GP treated you and will hasten to help you (because if you commit suicide as a result of feeling worse and not getting support from them, your family could sue the pants off them and/ or their reputation would not look good. Plus, each GP has to follow certain procedures when dealing with mental health issues that it sounds like the previous person you spoke to didn't).

If you still get no joy, I'd speak to someone like mind or teacher support or the samaritans, explain your experience and ask for advice on how to speak to a relevant professional.

Sorry I can't suggest more than this but I hope that I've been at least vaguely helpful and that things work out for you!

5. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

GPs can sometimes be so rubbish when it comes to mental health issues, especially if there is a locum in for a regular doctor.
    See if your practice has a GP that has an interest in mental health issues, or try to see one of the practice partners if you can.
    I'm sorry you are feeling so down. It's a horrible feeling and one I know only too well. Been on antidepressants for nearly 12 years now. I was getting loads better and on a very low dose from about 2006 until the middle of last year when the sh1t hit the fan with regards to work. Lots and lots of things are getting me down right now, and I've been crying a hell of a lot more than normal. Going to up my dose of happy pills and see what happens.
    Good luck and hope you get something sorted. Don't worry if you end up in floods of tears in the consultation - apparently it's nothing unusual and it should make them take you more seriously.
    We're always here if you want to vent or ask for advice.