1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another Lib Dem MP

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 6331, Aug 15, 2019.

1. 6331

6331 New commenter

It appears that the Lib Dems are doing quite well at the moment. I have just seen the MP for Totnes in Devon has joined them. I do hope they are successful at the next General Election and that they manage to push through some kind Of Proportional Representation. This would ensure that we will never have a Tory or Labour Govt again elected on a minority of the vote.

2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The problem is any party that comes to the fore through FPTP then does all it can to keep FPTP as it is hard for opponents to break your power clutch and it keeps the riff-raff out.

Whatever we may think of the Liberals, the idea they would not be the same is a tad hopeful, to put it very nicely.

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Does that mean the Johnson has no majority? What flavour was he/she previously?

4. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

No. She’d already left the Tories for Change UK.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Boris still has a majority of one.

The changeling is Sarah Wollaston, one of three Tory MPs to quit the party in February and join what would become Change UK, but she left that newly-formed party in June.

She follows ex-Change UK and Labour MP Chuka Umunna in joining the Lib Dems - which now has 14 MPs.

sodalime likes this.
  6. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

Wow! If they keep going at this rate they might hit triple figures before 2050.

7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Does ChangeUK even exist anymore? The most shambolic attempt to set up a new party in history!

vannie, ilovesooty and nomad like this.
  8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Poor Anna Soubry. Another MP who thought she was the only one tuned in, who believed she was loved and admired much, much more than she was and is.

She is the face of this hypocrisy while Wollaston and even Chukka to a certain degree, have managed to sneak across and keep under the radar.

Wollaston's move is being buried by Corbyn wanting to be PM through the no confidence vote.

Soubry is indeed so much the official face of failure, it is far from certain the LDs would welcome her to the fold.

I don't think you ever hear Change UK calling for a GE - they want the referendum as it gives them a few more years before being booted out of office.

artboyusa likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

14 MPs? So only 33 more and they can equal their high water mark from 2010.

/s

nomad likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Are you posting from 2009?

artboyusa likes this.
  11. 6331

6331 New commenter

No - 2019. A time when people are fed up at the right wing direction of the Tory party and havnt got the stomach for left wing, antisemitic rantings under a Corbyn led Labour. I hope the Lib dems and Greens can come to some arrangement

12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

The arrangement is LibDems don't stand in Brighton and the Greens don't stand anywhere else.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well I don't disagree on wanting to see politics expunged of the big two but the shot at PR was back in 2011. It was rejected.

14. 6331

6331 New commenter

Actually it wasnt. That was for the alternative vote - not proportional representation. Personally I would like to see them go for this without a referendum - we havnt got a good track record with holding referendums. PR would force parties to talk to each other and compromise. Not a bad thing

eljefeb90 likes this.
  15. LondonCanary

You would need to agree what type of PR first.

16. blue451

blue451 Established commenter

Hahahahaaaaa!

Like Chuka then, left with a flurry of press calls to form a new party which they hoped would propel them to positions of power. Then realised it had flopped and saw the LibDems as a better route to personal glory.

Why not just join the LibDems in the first place, if it's about political conviction?

ilovesooty and monicabilongame like this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Kind of agree with you... kinda sick of the piecemeal, what suits which party when, approach to politics that appears to have dominated since Blair [at least that I've been aware of]

18. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

*Eyeroll*

19. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

MMP, same as we already use in Scotland.

sodalime likes this.
  20. LondonCanary

I prefer d'Hondt. Looks like we will have to have a referendum to decide.