1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another Lesson Grading question-Apologies if I sound paranoid!

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by anon326, Dec 12, 2010.

1. In a recent internal observation, it was commented that at one point the students couldn't hear me because of the noise level in the next room. However, the observer wasn't going to penalise me for it, because apart from asking the teacher to keep the noise down, there was nothing I could have done about it. However, a colleague told me that if this had been an inspection lesson, I would have been downgraded for this.
    Is this true? If so, how can I deal with this type of situation, in terms getting the context that I teach in taken into account (I teach in a modern building where rooms are separated by glass penels rather than walls and a door-I don't think the managers will do anything aout this anytime soon because of the cost involved)?

2. about not aout and panels not penels. I hate typos!

3. An interesting one.
    OFSTED are there to judge whether the kids learned anything, not whether the teacher taught anything. If they didn't, then the lesson (not the teacher) was unsatisfactory.
    Presumably the noise issue will be discussed in the feedback to the teacher, who would then ask the inspector to make sure the HT knew that was why there was a problem. Bearing in mind that OFSTED inspectors
    (a) are members of the human race (well, usually)
    (b) believe that they are there to offer the school their wealth of experience and perceptive insights into how they could go about raising standards (well, at least that's what they think)
    then it is very probable that the cause of the problem would be notified to the HT. Of course, this will reflect badly on the colleague next door, but that's not your problem. And clearly, if the children in that room aren't learning anything because of the noise, then that is a problem that needs dealing with.

4. Is this true for 14-19 year old providers? I work in an FE college.

5. Yuo true for all

6. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Occasional commenter

littlerussell is correct to say that the inspectors focus on learning and would let the head know that noise was impeding progress.
    I'm only too aware because I teach in open plan areas - the noise makes it very difficult for students to hear, so have to adapt the lesson using more of the projector to reinforce instructions, watching where I stand, etc.
    Good teaching is characterised by the teacher reshaping learning. If you responded to the problem and addressed the situation as best as you could, no doubt the inspector will see this as a positive point.

7. Sorry to join in late in this one. All sound advice so far, so I'll add a bit if you don't mind.
    Ofsted don't judge the quality of the lesson by giving it a grade any more. This stopped in Sept 2009. Inspectors typically give grades for the quality of teaching and learning, progress, attainment and behaviour. If there is enough evidence they might also give a grade for care, guidance and support, assessment to support learning and leadership and management as well. If pupils' learning was affected by noise outside, then this <u>might</u> be reflected in the grade awarded for progress and probably for teaching and learning. However, other evidence, for example from pupils' work, the quality of marking etc. might swing some grades to satisfactory or good.
    This is also the case where learning is disrupted in a lesson due to fire alarms or a teacher suddenly having to leave the classroom due to sickness etc. It is possible for an inspector to look at other evidence and award grades on the evidence form as appropriate. If for some reason there is insufficient evidence to grade teaching and learning and/or progress then the inspector might give other grades, such as behaviour, then feed this back to the teacher.