1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another interview today

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Bobby_Carrot, May 18, 2011.

1. I didn't even get through to the interview in the afternoon (a new experience LOL) but the laptop in the classroom failed. They brought in another and that wasn't working properly either so I couldn't use the starting stimulus I had planned. I taught the lesson I had planned but used a book off the shelf in the classroom instead of the visual stimulus - not ideal but resourceful in the circumstances but only had 40 mins of the 1 hour I was supposed to teach.
    I feel somewhat penalised because their ICT didn't work and I had taken the stimulus in 3 different formats - but hey ho, you live and learn.
    Tbh, I felt the school had little personality so not upset - another example of the wrong school for me. Just hoping the right one is out there and finds me before May half term :)

2. Well if it's any consolation I didn't get my job today either lol! Interview lasted 10 mins (which I had travelled 1.5hrs to) and they rang me 45 mins later to say thanks, but no thanks! Wooooop! Fun day!!
    That's awful that you didn't get the full hour to teach, I would certainly not be happy about that! Have they given you any feedback yet? - Surely they took the fact you only had 40mins into consideration?!
    I have another interview tomorrow, it's for my 'dream' job, get such a nice vibe off the school and it's in a perfect location, however part of me is thinking it's too good to be true!

Fingers crossed for us both :D

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Fingers crossed for the next one! It is totally draining - I had 2 on the same day and was completely exhausted. Luckily I got one of them so dont have to go through that all again but it is not only the preparation & pre interview nerves causing sleep disruption etc but the adrenalin and effort that goes into in and the rollercoaster of emotions while waiting to hear!!!

I dont think im ever going to leave my new school, if only so I do not have to go through the whole rigamarole (sp?) again!!!

4. sorry to hear about the ict disaster in your interview lesson - that's very bad luck. I've heard of situations like that before and for my interview tomorrow have prepared something to use if ict goes wrong, just in case... congratulations to cally for getting the job! You're right, if it's a permanent one I would stay there for a very long time :) I'm so nervous about tomorrow, I'm feeling sick. It'll be very difficult to show off my skills and abilitities let alone personality if I feel like this tomorrow. At least I don't have to be at the school till lunchtime, for their buffet lunch for the applicants. I hate those things, when the other teachers 'check you out' in 10 minutes in their lunchbreak.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You describe the project, and also describe how the pupils reacted,
    how you assessed its impact, what that impact was (the progress) and
    what you learned from this for the next project that you do.
    I'd find it hard to keep it to only 10 minutes!
    Good luck to you all!_____________________________________________________________

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

6. I know how you feel. I've attended 3 interviews (offered the job at one, turned them down, was unsuccessful at next two schools). It's exhausting and I'm losing my energy with it all, the teaching aspect is so hard when you only get 20 or 30 mins with children you don't know much about. I guess we just have to keep at it, as teachers always do when faced with adversity [​IMG].

By the way, the same thing happened to me at one of the interviews I had. I took in a video starter which had taken me hours to plan and make, I had it in three different formats AND uploaded to youtube just in case. Turned out none of the files would open on their system and the youtube clip wouldn't stream, so I spent the rest of the lesson worrying. They criticised my video and I felt like shouting "Erm, SORT OUT YOUR ICT!!!" [​IMG] But looking back, it's quite funny, and it wasn't the right job for me anyway.

7. Thanks PetraPan, that is exactly what I planned. Had the url for video and also had saved it in three different formats, none of which would open on their system (Quicktime wasn't even on the system!!!!) Their version of Windows media said my file was corrupt but when i got home it worked on my PC AND my laptop!!!! I couldn't access via the internet because the internet wasn't working either.
    Was very disappointed to begin with but if they cannot see that they are advertising (and their person spec said this) for someone who is good at using ICT in their practice but their ICT isn't up to the job, they can hardly blame the applicant for trying to show this can they?
    Never mind :) Wasn't the right school for me as there were a few other things I didn't like either, like telling a child off for being rude and coming through a door before an adult even though the child is outside in the rain and the adult is going outside and has their coat on.... the child was only about 6!

8. Yep, sometimes it can be a lucky escape. I know exactly what you mean about the ICT thing, they have criteria in their person spec for "excellence with ICT" so you try and show them you can use it and then their systems are so archaic it won't work! I'm scared to use ICT in a lesson obs again now.

9. I think I have been quite daring in a lot of my interview lessons and the bottom line is that it will either work or it won't. A friend and I had a chat about this afterwards - do you fundamentally change how you teach and your personality to secure a job and personally I think the answer is 'no' which is why there probably ends up being quite a few people in jobs they aren't happy in. I can often be daring in my approach to my teaching, so accept sometimes this will go wrong - and I use a lot of ICT, so if the school can't cope with this (even though it is on their person spec), not the right school for me.
    Last year I just needed to get a job so I could get my NQT year out of the way. This year I want to make sure I end up in the right school for me but if that takes me the next 12 months, then so be it.
    One of the difficulties is that schools seem to leave everything until the last minute before the May holiday and obviously, even though I am on a temp contract, I need to let my current head know my plans for Sept so he can sort out staffing because as it stands there is a slot for me for next year. I need to consider whether I say I am leaving in August (and potentially end up jobless if I don't get anything) or stay there and keep looking for the right job. There seems to be loads of jobs that close after half term but I can't say whether any of those schools would be right for me, so really not sure what to do atm.

10. I think everyone looks good on paper - everyone has had a the same training and different experiences. The key is tailoring each application to that particular job - and accepting that sometimes it just won't fit. For example, I don't have much KS1 experience but have applied to a couple of KS1 places but not gained interviews (clearly those heads don't see primary skills as transferable to both key stages and are happy to pigeon hole teachers - so not right for me LOL) but I have been asked to apply for another KS1 post after a recommendation where I went to interview somewhere else and the head is interested in a great 'primary practitioner' not a good KS teacher.
    Last year I used a very different approach to my applications as all the posts were asking for someone who was creative (I use this now at some schools but not all now as I have leanred that I can read the schools better as to where this would work). My head and duputy loved it (and so have others this year) but a head at one school called it 'pretentious' so it shows you that one head's idea of creative or 'thinkinh out of the box' screams 'pretentious' to a different head!!!!
    So initially I have found I clearly haven't got interviews at schools where the philosophy or out look doesn't match mine - and of two of the three posts I was interviewed for, they were the wrong schools for me (one was complete chaos and a very disinterested head teacher and the other seemed to only be interested in super groomed, suited and booted clones who taught to a 'formula' and their ICT was awful and there was no atmosphere in the school).
    It is difficult to make your applications stand out from evrryone else's - even the executive summary doesn't work at every school (one school said because I had done a letter AND exec summary I had gone over the 2 pages they allow!) You need to use the person spec - that will be their tick list for short listing.
    It is exhausting and I think I have done too many applications this year. So far 10 applications have resulted in 3 interviews (but of 4 of those I thought it was unlikely I would get an interview for various reasons) with 2 posts where I felt surprised not to have got an interview (but later found out one wanted a young NQT). Personally I also think many schools have hidden agendas that you can't do anything about (e.g. wanting a male teacher, wanting someone fresh out of uni to bend in to shape, wanting their internal candidate, etc...)
    Just stick at it. I will stay put if the right thing doesn't come up :)