1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another interview. Help needed please.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by olunchick, Dec 27, 2017.

1. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

Hi everyone,

I have had another failed interview since I posted last, so had 4 rejections since September. I now have another interview coming up in a school for children with bahavioral difficulties. While I have experience of working with children with physical disabilities on a 1:1 basis, I don’t have much working with “challenging” children.

Any advice on how I can best prepare for an interview? I am thinking of doing an online course that covers SEN including social, emotional and behavioral difficulties which is an area where expertise matters the most I feel?

Any websites, links, topics to read up on or any other general advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
    I hope you are all enjoying your hols!

2. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. olunchick

Hi galerider, it is a special school for pupils with behavioral difficulties (many kids have asd, adhd etc), and it is a primary school. That’s all I know. Thank you for your links, I’ll have a look

Lara mfl 05 and galerider123 like this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi olunchick, good to hear you have another interview. You must write a really good application form, many people don't get this far today. If you think about it, you will already know so many strategies to use with children with challenging behaviour - keep calm; don't try to talk during an 'outburst', give them space and time to calm down (time out area); there must always be a 'way back' for the child; a touch of humour can often help. A very important one will be to get to know as much as you can about the student so that you can avoid situations that may cause stress - pre-empt confrontations before they happen.
    Do look at the school website and, if available, the behaviour policy. If you can, have a question in your mind about something you have read (goes down well).
    When is your interview? Fingers crossed for you - best of luck!

5. olunchick

Thanks sunshine, ages till interview , will be in the 3d week of Jan. The school is yet to let me know the time and other details. I’ve been to see the school and really liked it. It is a challenging job, no doubt but I am up for it. The starting salary is slightly higher for this one than isual so I think there will be good grilling at interview, they will want the very best of course. I’ll keep you guys posted. x

6. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Hi Olunchick!! I hope you are ok my dear and had a lovely chilled out Christmas. Well done on getting an interview.

Here are a few things i suggest you read up in especially for the SEN settings- alternative communication devices, Makaton, PECS, behaviour schedules and most definitely de-escalation strategies such as Team Teacch approach.

The National Autistic Society have a website with loads of useful information to help you.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. pickles124

In fact i could ping over a few resources to your email that were sent to me by a SEN teacher x

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. pickles124

Can send attachments by email x

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. denice304

denice304 New commenter

Lara mfl 05 and pickles124 like this.
  10. pickles124

I would for your own benefit do a little bit of research around Autism. I don' mean going into reams and reams of neurological complexities but just to have a basic understanding of how it affects communication, self awareness, co-ordination and what that may mean forvthe child and how staff can support.

Most importantly they want to know they you are caring, emphatic, engaging with children who probably can't talk back that well and need lots of support.

Are you happy to do toileting duties? Can you remain composed in the face of a mini/moderate melt down. How would you calm or distract a child.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. olunchick

Thank you so much for your pointers ladies. Pickles, some great ideas. I actually bought an online course Autism Awareness and it was helpful. I would really appreciate if you could email the resources Pickles, thank you so much! I will PM my email address.

I am still waiting on interview schedule, as was told it will be posted in the new year. Nothing as yet, so don’t even know if there will be a task etc

12. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Just wanted to wish you all the best Olunchick!
    Some great advice from the previous posters. I would echo what Pickles mentioned about staying calm and focused during a meltdown (these could be plentiful!)

Show you are firm, yet warm. Have empathy but ensure the boundaries are firmly set. Just be yourself I think. Definitely do a little back ground reading and find out what the main challenges the children face at the school and how these conditions affect their learning, social skills and development.

Keep us posted! :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. olunchick

Well found out today that the day will consist of formal interview, written task and time spent in class. Time to prepare.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. galerider123

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. pickles124

When is It? Did the resources help?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. olunchick

Resources were helpful, thanks pickles! I only opened your email last night due to being busy! Interview is next week x

17. olunchick

Has anyone ever had to do a written task as part of an interview? Just wondering what it might be? I am thinking something like a interview question to asses knowledge as well as skills in written English taking into account SPAG? Am I close?

Thank you.

18. galerider123

I would assume so.x

19. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

I had to do a written task once. I had to mark a piece of work and correct the errors.

galerider123 likes this.
  20. olunchick

Just an update, I had my interview today and I feel I did well but not fantastic and to get in you have to be excellent all around. I am a little disappointed with myself as I knew all the answers but nerves and fear of failure got the better of me and I know I forgot to mention some important points.

For my written task I had 6 questions.

I had 45mins to answer all the questions and I managed all bar one. I knew all the answers but simply ran out of time, I didn’t stop writing from the start so I think I needed to be more concise.

Interview questions were all standard nothing tricky, but I feel I overprepared expecting a really hard interview but it wasn’t.

I know I lost points on safeguarding question which was straightforward, there was a couple of things I should have mentioned and didn’t.

Another one was a question on managing behaviour and I also failed to mention so crucial techniques of behaviour management - I think everything I said was correct but needed to add more.

My observation was at a time when children were out playing so I joined in - I feel it went fine, nothing to beat myself about there.

Pupil panel and lunchtime duty was cancelled on the day due to lack of staff so although it was scheduled it didn’t take place.

They are interviewing till Wednesday and there are 11 candidates for 3 posts so almost 4:1. I should find out outcome Wednesday night or Thursday morning. But it will be the same as usual I fear.

I feel like I have let myself down as I needed to walk away feeling I couldn’t have done any better but that’s not the case unfortunately.