1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another **** idea from Mr Russell!

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by VelmaDinckley, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Reading the paper over brekkie this morning, I noticed another article in which the old fool was taking a pot shot at teachers.
    Apparently, he thinks that it would be a good idea if HTs had the right to decide whether an 'older' teacher should take early retirement.
    Now, I know a number of really nasty HTs (I'm also currently working for one of them [​IMG]) who would love to have this degree of power and would happily enjoy using it at our (my) expense.
    How much more teacher-bashing can there be! In my school, we are all fed up of having various parts of our day ruined by these stupid ideas from balloons who have no idea of how a school should be run.
    Are they hoping that by threatening us with these 'extremes', that we will somehow be grateful and will accept the mediocrities that they are offering?
    My job situation will be seriously damaged by the proposed changes to supply but I'm concerned that this is all a smokescreen.
    Any thoughts?

2. Reading the paper over brekkie this morning, I noticed another article in which the old fool was taking a pot shot at teachers.
    Apparently, he thinks that it would be a good idea if HTs had the right to decide whether an 'older' teacher should take early retirement.
    Now, I know a number of really nasty HTs (I'm also currently working for one of them [​IMG]) who would love to have this degree of power and would happily enjoy using it at our (my) expense.
    How much more teacher-bashing can there be! In my school, we are all fed up of having various parts of our day ruined by these stupid ideas from balloons who have no idea of how a school should be run.
    Are they hoping that by threatening us with these 'extremes', that we will somehow be grateful and will accept the mediocrities that they are offering?
    My job situation will be seriously damaged by the proposed changes to supply but I'm concerned that this is all a smokescreen.
    Any thoughts?

3. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Quite likely.

4. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=184NTV2CE_c

5. From Mike Russell's wikipedia page:

In November 2009, Russell was engaged in a controversy when his most senior aide was forced to resign after being exposed by the News of the World as the author of an online political blog with controversial content.<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">[8]<sup id="cite_ref-8" class="reference">[9]<sup id="cite_ref-9" class="reference">[10] However, there was never any evidence that Russell had any direct connection with the political blog.
    <h2>Leaked Emails</h2>In 2011 Russell was referred to the parliamentary standards watchdog over allegations that he tried to influence school closures for his own electoral benefit.
    "The MSP was reported to Holyrood's standards watchdog after a leaked email revealed he quizzed SNP councillors about their support for the axeing of local schools.
    The message, sent from Mr Russell's parliamentary account, concerned proposed closures in the area where he is due to seek election in May. He now represents the South of Scotland but will stand as a candidate in Argyll & Bute."
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3333509/Russell-faces-school-axe-meddling-probe.html

6. amysdad

amysdad New commenter

Isn't Mrs Russell an HT at a primary in Argyll? Do you think he ever actually discusses these ideas with her before he mouths off about them? Wonder what the conversation goes like - especially if he doesn't....!
    BTW - just a wee thought - how is it practical for an MSP to live in Argyll and yet attempt to represent the South of Scotland......?

7. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Apart from the very obvious issue of age discrimination, how on earth could a HT have the right to decide when another council employee should retire? The HT is not the employer.
    If a council wishes to offer a teacher an early retirement package, they can, and the teacher has the right to accept or reject it. If they wish to make a teacher redundant, they can, but then they would have to comply with employment law or face an employment tribunal.
    Any responsible employer would also advise an employee to seek independent financial advice before accepting an early, or premature, retirement package and I'm not aware of many HTs who are independent financial advisers.
    Of course, it could be that Mike Russell sees older, and more experienced, staff as a stumbling block to his idiotic plans for education.
    Never mind, come May 2011, one thing is clear. The electorate have the chance to decide if it is time for Mike Russell to retire.[​IMG]

8. Wake up people because the writing's on the wall.
    In the great scheme of modernisation and efficiency savings HTs will eventually have responsibility for everything. We keep getting told from above that 'HTs are best placed to make decisions about their schools' .
    Sadly I don't think equality and fairness will be a priority!!

9. HT's only come in to bat when the sh.t hits the fan. Up till then as representatives of the Authority management structure they are expected to put a positive spin on all the edicts that are issued.
    The main 'responsibility' is to manage the backlash and placate the parents!

10. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

As has been said, HTs are just the meat in the sandwich, dealing with impossible demands from above, whilst placating each new tranche of parents.
    So called 'Leadership' is a thing of the past because it largely involves implementing each and every new initiative passed down from above, no matter how daft, and convincing everyone else that it is the best thing since sliced bread or, at least, bamboozling them with meaningless buzzwords.
    The job largely involves smoke and mirrors, 'fire-fighting' and plugging gaps in the system. Why are most LAs struggling to fill HT vacancies at a time when there is a general teacher surplus?
    Most teachers, with any sense, wouldn't touch the job with a ten-foot bargepole, and those with eleven-foot bargepoles are often over-confident in their own ability and do more harm than good.
    Of course, perhaps if HTs were allowed to get on with doing their job, in genuine consultation with staff, pupils and parents and without constant interference from above and beyond, schools might be more productive places.
    Somehow I can't see the politicians, their advisers and the bureaucrats giving up the stranglehold they have on education.

11. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Watch out for this kind of stuff when the McCormacCommittee reports. One of the members is a secondary HT who may well be inclined to the view that HTs should have greater powers in employment issues.

12. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Please excuse my ignorance, but when will this report be reported and is McCormac reporting on the validity/implications of McCrone (in 2011)?

13. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Have a look here https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/467814.aspx

14. Russell as I understand it is a former teacher himself, and like many who no longer stand before the the blackboard/whiteboard has become a self-styled expert on all matters educational. Being, I am sure, a **** teacher himself with pitiful discipline and limited motivation, he logically assumes all teachers now are rather like he was back when.
    So he used to be a **** teacher (almost certainly: could you sit and listen to him for more than 10 minutes without giving up the will to live?) and now he is **** politician. Smart career move. Better pension.
    But he wants HTs to have more power so we can assume he was an ****-licker extradionaire during his days at the chalkface. Any decent teacher knows that the HT should not have the power to hire and fire. But a weak, incompetent nobody always loves the HT, for that is his protector. And a weak, incompetent nobody always loathes the senior staff who can do the job without any fuss or fannying around. So Russell is now trying to exact revenge on the decent teachers who spotted him as a nonentity all these years ago.
    He was a bore then; and he is a bore now.