1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another HT found guilty of SATs cheating

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nomad, Jun 1, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-44317042o

A head teacher has been banned from the profession indefinitely after helping pupils cheat in their SATs.

Karen Parker also bought them junk food for motivation and set off a fire alarm during exams at Robert Bruce Middle School in Kempston, Bedfordshire.

Her actions "ultimately led" to the annulment of the school's Year 6 SATs results in May 2015, a disciplinary panel said.

Her assistant head was also found to have "provided assistance" to pupils.

2. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

What a complete mess we’ve made of our education system.

Regardless of the rights, wrongs and who to blame, it is a very sad situation. I feel for those Y6s who had to go through the build-up in 2015 only to find their results cancelled.

Pitiful.

(Couldn’t read the original article cos the link didn’t work for me. Sorry Nomad)

tonymars likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

4. simonCOAL

Cheers Rott

5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

Sad too is a system that tempts teachers to cheat in this way.

simonCOAL and palmtree100 like this.
  6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Teachers were removed from invigilating most public exams for a lot of reasons, one of which is the temptation with so much dependent on the results. Why don't the team of invigilators employed by secondaries just work one week more in the local feeder schools? It has freed up secondary teachers to do more useful tasks and could do the same for primary teachers.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

A 'Newly qualified Assistant Head'? What is one of those?

8. simonCOAL

Good question.

MarieAnn18 likes this.
  9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

It could be anything. At my last school, AHT just meant you were one of those inside the tent, p*ssing out.

10. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Established commenter

"Mrs Parker was accused of putting pressure on staff to secure results, warning them they could lose their jobs."

"The panel said that" newly-qualified assistant head Paul Henry, 33 "told colleagues: "I'm not asking you to cheat, but am telling you to do everything you can to get them through."

"Mr Henry was found in breach of professional standards of ethics and behaviour."

Perhaps these quotes should be made mandatory reading for all SLT, perhaps a wall poster as well.

chelsea2, tonymars, drek and 3 others like this.
  11. simonCOAL

There are some of us who try to spread the word that not all SLT are useless bottom-of-the-sea-dwellers. But this doesn’t help our cause at all and I’m happy to admit it.

Where are the ethics? What about integrity? Jeez.

tsarina, eljefeb90, nomad and 4 others like this.
  12. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

I suspect that if secondaries are worried that inflated grades lower down the system are messing up their value added, that they might want to fund external invigilators in their feeders. I alway found expectations of help from some year 7 students "interesting" the first time the sat a test / exam.

tonymars, drek and palmtree100 like this.
  13. ridleyrumpus

Too true and we in secondary have our pay & career linked to making progress from a baseline that for all we know, and sometimes evidence suggests, is just made up.

14. simonCOAL

And this can start in KS1, meaning that Y6 teachers in the same school are under similar pressures to show progress.
    With increasing assessment for very young children you wonder where it will end.

thekillers1, Rivermill, drek and 2 others like this.
  15. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

So what do you suggest?
    We can all have a moan, but how do we improve things?

drek likes this.
  16. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I have long thought this.

bevdex likes this.
  17. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Perhaps we should all just cheat and be done, I am so frustrated with these stories.

JL48 and Scintillant like this.
  18. ridleyrumpus

No doubt with an assessment of Pitt the glint in the milkman's eye.

bevdex and simonCOAL like this.
  19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

These cases are the ones used to show you that something is being done.

I expect it's similar to coursework where even in my limited circle I know of several examples of, let's say, "unethical behaviour" that were not dealt with as they should have been. Even exam boards turned blind eyes. There was simply too much at stake for all those involved.for it to be addressed. I left mainstream and moved into alternative provision rather than be complicit. I then saw plenty of it in the form of work that was sent to us that pupils were supposed to have written in their mainstream schools. It'was a farce. I didn't pursue them though as it would have doubtless made me unemployable while those doing it were able to happily continue their careers.

What a mess

palmtree100 likes this.
  20. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Well done border for pointing out this affects secondary teachers also. Of course it does and i would go further and say the inflated "grades" secondary teachers are under such pressure to "improve" is one of the main reasons for the teacher revruitment retention crisis.

border_walker and needabreak like this.