1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another "How long is a piece of string" thread...Malaysia salary?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by snowflakesfalling, Dec 7, 2018.

1. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

What do you reckon is a reasonable salary for a single primary teacher in Malaysia?

2. cel90

cel90 New commenter

It very much is a 'how long is a piece of string' question. To add some context, including housing and utilities and after tax and EPF, I bring home around 11k - it's definitely not the best salary you can get out here, but the package has significant other benefits. The location is also a factor. Being in the middle of nowhere, I generally spend very little so splurge it on weekends in the city or abroad. The cost of living is cheap and caters for every end of the spectrum - hostels vs. 5* luxury.

snowflakesfalling likes this.
  3. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

Do you mind if I ask your salary before tax?

4. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

I have friends earning anything from 9000 to 19,000 per month here (total package before tax).

It depends on location - KL or Penang or East Malaysia etc.

5. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

"It depends on location - KL or Penang or East Malaysia etc."

It doesn't really. Malaysia is an awful place. Riven by religious and cultural disputes. People say that New Zealand is the UK in the 1950's, if that is so then Malaysia is like the UK in 1920.

Enjoy....

Perce

Redparrotfish likes this.
  6. taiyah

taiyah New commenter

Oh wow.. Where did you land and which school screwed you over to have such a descriptive review? The company I worked for was dodgy as but came away loving the country and its culture.

Ignore it. Malaysia is a beautiful country with lots to offer for expat singles and families. Pm me if you need more info on salary, taxes, EPF et al.

7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Same reaction here. The country has much to offer despite its imperfections.

8. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

20,000 plus for single is ok.
    15 to 19k doable when young.
    Under that run away.

Inflation is high btw.

9. cel90

cel90 New commenter

About 14k before tax & epf. Accommodation & utilities is on top of this.

10. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I didn't actually mention any school or system. I agree that Malaysia is a relatively nice country. However, the pay is not very good and it is, quite possibly the most racist country I have ever lived in, and I have lived and worked in the Middle East, China, the UK, Thailand and Chile. Obviously if one is willing to overlook this then one can have a lovely time there, earning less than in other countries and perpetuating a racist regime. Have a look at the link.....I signed a 2 year contract and left after one , I was fed up with Indians fighting with Chinese about Bhumi's getting all of the good jobs. I have been back on numerous occasions for IB courses and nothing has changed. Stop bloody pontificating......

https://www.dailypioneer.com/2017/columnists/state-sponsored-racism-in-malaysia.html

11. cel90

cel90 New commenter

I certainly agree with the racism comment (and while we are at it, add their views on homosexuality) but, if you can indeed look past this, Malaysia is quite a cheap place live a 5* lifestyle. I certainly couldn't retreat to a 5* hotel in the city each weekend back in the UK. That said, with the wages elsewhere, you could do the same! Live for the holidays - Malaysia is a fantastic hub to travel SE Asia on a shoestring!

12. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

I think no country is perfect, so you have to weigh up what is most important to you when looking at moving there.

Malaysia certainly is very racist and has a lot of issues, however we have already seen a lot of changes with the new government so fingers crossed the development continues.

I'm not sure where nemo gets those salaries from but I don't know any class teachers on such high wages, only leadership in the top schools.

Aim for 15k+ per month and you'll be fine. Less than that you might struggle but life here is so cheap that you just have to decide your priorities and you can still have a cushty lifestyle. One of my (non teaching) friends was on 8500 per month and seems to have done way more travelling than me for example.

percy topliss likes this.
  13. gulfgolf

There are plenty of expat teachers there on eight to ten thousand per month, inclusive of all benefits, and having a great time. Not saving too much, but certainly not struggling.

14. taiyah

taiyah New commenter

Nemo, pm me the school that pays that much for a young teacher. I have salary info on the two of their top, top, top schools and and a few others, and I haven't seen that type of of generous offer for a young'un in Malaysia anyway and doesn't work for the Shell schools. Would love to sus out the school.

15. sully007

sully007 New commenter

I'd be keen to know it too!

Working in Malaysia with non-working spouse and two dependents in tow; 11k after tax is more than sufficient. Yes Malaysia has its problem, but so does every country in the world (including the "Western World").

16. gulfgolf

Problems, yes.
    Also perhaps the best food in the world. Cheap, tasty, amazing variety (especially across the Asian spectrum, less so for western).

17. gulfgolf

Problems, yes.
    Also perhaps the best food in the world. Cheap, tasty, amazing variety (especially across the Asian spectrum, less so for western).

18. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I've found Malaysia considerably less racist than the UK. Going by my Malaysian friends, colleagues and acquaintances, people generally tend to be pretty laid back and tolerant, and the general attitude in my experience seems to be to let everyone get on with believing what they believe and doing what they choose to as long as it doesn't directly harm anyone else. Politics and laws might be a different matter, but the average person on the street is a lot friendlier and more open-minded than many people in the UK. Of course there are difficulties in society, show me a country where there isn't, but there is generally a movement towards improvements unlike in many European countries where things are going downhill.

19. gulfgolf

What Rosa has seen is especially true in KL and the main cities. The prejudice and racism is far more common outside the cities.