1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another GCSE but not GCSE statistics?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by etotheip, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Does anybody know if we can do any other GCSE qualifications with our pupils in addition to mathematics?

I don't want to do statistics if I can help it but do need it to count in the 5 A*-C grades.

Looking forward to your responses,

E.

2. Does anybody know if we can do any other GCSE qualifications with our pupils in addition to mathematics?

I don't want to do statistics if I can help it but do need it to count in the 5 A*-C grades.

Looking forward to your responses,

E.

3. DM

DM New commenter

Linked Pair? There are still some places available.

4. really? for this summer?

5. DM

DM New commenter

Yes, but it will cost you a whole heap of late entry fees at this stage.

6. DM

DM New commenter

Which Year Group are you talking about? GCSE is a two year course?!

7. Y11 and they already have one GCSE

DOes the FSMQ count or additional maths?

8. DM

DM New commenter

Forget the Linked Pair then. GCSE Additional Mathematics is being discontinued so I would be very surprised if they would accept anyone else on to that pilot. FSMQ Additional Mathematics is a Level 3 qualification so will not count towards 5 A* to C in mathematics if that is your priority.

9. DM

DM New commenter

ALAN counts as 1 GCSE towards league tables (you need both bits).

10. DM

DM New commenter

... but it does not count towards 5 A* to C INCLUDING mathematics and english.

11. DM

DM New commenter

Not explaining this well - it does not count as the mathematics or english component of 5 A* to C including maths and english, I think it can be used as the 5th element if the student already has maths and english and two other GCSEs at the required level.

12. DM,

Do you think there is anything we could offer as an extra GCSE that the maths department could offer?

13. DM

DM New commenter

Just checked. You could enter your students for Level 2 functional mathematics and that counts as 1/2 GCSE towards 5 A* to C including mathematics and english (but not the mathematics component). Combine this with a GCSE short course or functional ICT or functional english and that be what you are looking for.

14. DM

DM New commenter

I meant to say "that COULD be what you are looking for."

15. That's great, A number have done just the mathematics part of the functional skills paper but could ask English if they could do there part :)