1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another euphemism for a 'freebie'.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Jolly_Roger1, Jun 29, 2017.

1. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

They are smiling in your face whilst whipping your wallet out of your back pocket!:eek:

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I know what they charge per day that I'm sent out, I know how much I get paid, it's just simple maths to work out what they make from me and I know I'm the one that makes out the best. They make their money from the number of teachers they are able to send out not ripping people off.

Yes, there are some really dodgy agencies out there but not all of them will be dodgy. But by all means, please continue to assume that you know more about supply in my area and the people that work in it than I do.

3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I am sorry to resurrect this old thread but I have just heard a new (to me, anyway) euphemism for an unpaid trial. Apparently, the school would like to 'scope' me.

4. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

Jolly_Roger that sounds painful and would bring tears to your eyes!

However if they want to scope you they should pay something for the experience and to cover your loss of earnings

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@historygrump: The intention was 'one up the bum' in the figurative sense, I hope! If it meant it literally, it is new take on the dreaded 'an opportunity to put something back'.

les25paul likes this.
  6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

:eek::eek::eek:

7. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Would they at least provide the lubricant for that experience?

8. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

Most of these requests for unpaid work don't sound legal. If it were for a couple of hours they could get away with unpaid 'trials' or 'scoping' however if it is for a full day (or multiple sessions) then they have to at least pay the minimum wage - at which point you're entering contract of employment territory.

10. bounceback

bounceback New commenter

My previous agency were just starting to go down this route, but got round it by saying it was a trial on a 'voluntary' basis

11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

I doubt that would stand up to a legal challenge. Voluntary or not, if it's a trial then it should only be a couple of hours, that would be enough to see if you are capable of doing the job.