1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another euphemism for a 'freebie'.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Jolly_Roger1, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I have just had a call from an agency (whose name makes you think of Catholic light bulbs.), for a maternity cover, starting in mid-September. The money offered was £130 - £150 p.d.: not spectacular but better then most. My luck might be changing, I thought. The next bit was not so good. The school was looking for someone who could join it ASAP on a 'non-transactional' basis. I had not heard this one before, and it took me a while to get it out of the 'consultant' that 'non-transactional' meant unpaid. Leaving the door open, I asked her if I could just apply for the matty leave. She would find out, she said.

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I bet it is actually the agency who want someone on that basis. The agency will expect to be paid always.

3. Jolly_Roger1

Since this 'consultant' said the school wanted an 'experienced' teacher, she is actually deterring people from applying. I can just about understand why an NQT might fall for this, just to get some experience, otherwise what is to be gained by working six weeks for nothing.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Very strange... Whom would work unpaid???

5. Jolly_Roger1

Two types of teacher seem to be targeted by schools and agencies wanting a freebie: retired ones, like me, who, it is assumed are on fat pensions and feel guilty about, so are looking for an opportunity to 'put something back' to salve their consciences, and NQTs who want to have some actual teaching experience to put on their CVs. 'Volunteering' in general is becoming rip-off industry.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It is a disgrace and shame. When they ring, ask them the last time they worked unpaid and whether Saintsbury's has started accepting thin air for payment.

bonxie likes this.
  7. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

Next time, try to think of another euphemism 'for do one', only not so polite!

8. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Hmmmm.........must be nice to consider that a low rate of pay.

Flowers19 and Landofla like this.
  9. Jolly_Roger1

It is when you factor in the up to thirty days before the matty leave starts, for which you would not be paid. I dare say the £130 p.d. was a sweetener to entice the gullible into accepting this crock.

10. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

It is getting more common, I had an agency which said that they have a post starting permanent in September, would I be interested, i know the school indicated and checked on the school website and the post is advertised. But the agency said I may be required to go on a trial day if invited, which I suspect means for free, which if they suggest to me, my reply will be "pretend you are a turkey at Christmas and get st....".

I may apply for the post without telling the agency, because strangely the school says no CV's, which is a dilemma, but I am not registered with the agency, but my moral conscientious I should do the decent thing.

11. Jolly_Roger1

The agency would have to Goolge 'moral conscience' to find out what it was, before laughing behind your back. Perhaps the agency is getting craftier, and is using schools that have advertised vacancies to entice supplies into doing a free day.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    thatmaninthehat likes this.
  12. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Unbelievable.

Is anyone/any organisation actually gathering together stories like this in order to present a case to someone in power to get something done about it?

If public sector pay freezes weren't bad enough, you've got nurses, teachers and God knows who else being asked to work for longer and longer periods of time for FREE. Why should this be happening? We KNOW that teachers are in demand! There's a shortage! The agencies are desperately trying to paint a picture that demand is low in order to convince teachers to accept worse and worse deals (more and more profitable for the agency, though).

I don't believe that schools would ask for a free teacher for 6 weeks. The agencies are offering us up as bait in exchange for business, since there are so many agencies now and schools are prepared to shop around. It's not the supply teachers who are in want of business, it's the agencies. Too much competition so they are doing cheaper deals for schools and undercutting their competitors.

Sneaky tactics need to be brought o public attention.

bonxie and gingerhobo48 like this.
  13. Jolly_Roger1

@Eva_Smith : hear, hear! Sadly, some schools do expect something for nothing!

14. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Depends on the agency. The staff in the branch I work through are quite open about it. If they could get theirs hands on a couple more teachers of shortage subjects that are up for long term they'd be chuffed.

15. Jolly_Roger1

I have found that although agencies profess to be glad to sign up teachers of shortage subjects, the 'jobs' they are touting more often than not have some areas of 'dodginess' about them, such as blurring the roles of CS and teacher to something like 'learning facilitator', paid nearer CS rates than that of a teachers, or paid jobs with unpaid lead-in 'times, and 'flexible' pay rates that are below what was actually agreed. . Gone, it seems, are the days of stating precisely what the job is, and how much is being offered.

16. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I do not doubt that there are agencies out there that are cut throat in how they get things done. I just count myself lucky that I seem to be in a position that the agency branch I've done most of my supply work through is one that has staff that treats their supplies as people and not just cash cows.

17. Jolly_Roger1

Someone on here once said that agencies get up to tricks that would make a used car dealer blush.

18. Jolly_Roger1

Had another one, this week. A school that wanted to 'try me before it buys'.

19. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Teacher Intern. Is this the latest initiative?

20. Jolly_Roger1

Is that for unqualified staff, who aspire to be teachers?