1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another depression post, sorry :-(

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Tess_Dubs, Jul 3, 2012.

1. I think I'm going through a bout of depression, the only 'problem' is that I appear to be swooping and diving in and out of it. This means that, just as I think I need to see a doctor, everything seems fine again and I convince myself I'm being silly.
    This is a problem in other areas. When I feel bad, or low, things from the past surface. There is no horrid tale of abuse from my childhood, but there are some small things that I think I have latched onto. Problem is, I can't tell if they have caused this depression, or if somewhere along the line I have got so disheartened with not knowing what is wrong that I have escalated these things (does that even make any sense?!)
    I hate the way I act when I'm down. I feel I'm attention seeking. Maybe because I have done this in my younger days (during Uni). I post this anonomously, because I can't tell anyone else, but I self harmed the other day. Not badly. But I can't tell anyone, because I know that back in my Uni days I self harmed partly for attention. I know this, I'm ashamed of this, I can't change this, but now I can't tell anyone because in my mind I'm just back to that attention seeking girl I once was. Maybe I still am. I can't tell anymore.
    Apologies for the random rant, I just feel [​IMG] and I'm so confused.
    Tess

2. I think I'm going through a bout of depression, the only 'problem' is that I appear to be swooping and diving in and out of it. This means that, just as I think I need to see a doctor, everything seems fine again and I convince myself I'm being silly.
    This is a problem in other areas. When I feel bad, or low, things from the past surface. There is no horrid tale of abuse from my childhood, but there are some small things that I think I have latched onto. Problem is, I can't tell if they have caused this depression, or if somewhere along the line I have got so disheartened with not knowing what is wrong that I have escalated these things (does that even make any sense?!)
    I hate the way I act when I'm down. I feel I'm attention seeking. Maybe because I have done this in my younger days (during Uni). I post this anonomously, because I can't tell anyone else, but I self harmed the other day. Not badly. But I can't tell anyone, because I know that back in my Uni days I self harmed partly for attention. I know this, I'm ashamed of this, I can't change this, but now I can't tell anyone because in my mind I'm just back to that attention seeking girl I once was. Maybe I still am. I can't tell anymore.
    Apologies for the random rant, I just feel [​IMG] and I'm so confused.
    Tess

3. Go to the doctor honey. We all have good days and bad days, depressed or not but it's important that you see someone before the 'good' days disappear. How trivial you feel the reasons behind your mood are is irrelevant right now. What matters is that your mood is low, consistently, and you should address that. No one is going to think you're attention seeking. You need to make sure that you are as honest as possible with the doctor and that you try to get some counselling to help you work through it. The fact that you have recognised there's an issue is a big step, once you're willing to acknowledge that, you're on your way.

Take care and see the doc!! xx

4. Totally agree, go and see your GP, and if that one is not sympathetic then ask for an appointment with another doctor in the practice.
    Nomatter what you did in your past, you deserve to feel better now without feeling guilty. And don't ever apologise for being depressed.
    Also you could check out black dog tribe for more support with mental health issues (registration is free)
    [​IMG]