1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another day of disruption . . . .

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by kibosh, Dec 8, 2011.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

. . . . . and it amazes me that East Ayrshire have closed their schools to pupils only. Staff, apparently, have to attend as normal (according to the BBC website weather updates) Is it only people under a certain age that can be hit by flying masonry, affected by fallen trees etc.?
    On a similar note, why did some LAs wait until this morning before announcing school closures, when the surrounding LAs announced closure yesterday evening?
    I don't really see what was 'so confusing' about the Governments advice.

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

. . . . . and it amazes me that East Ayrshire have closed their schools to pupils only. Staff, apparently, have to attend as normal (according to the BBC website weather updates) Is it only people under a certain age that can be hit by flying masonry, affected by fallen trees etc.?
    On a similar note, why did some LAs wait until this morning before announcing school closures, when the surrounding LAs announced closure yesterday evening?
    I don't really see what was 'so confusing' about the Governments advice.

3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Firstly, the advice came out at about midnight, when most parents were probably asleep.
    Secondly, it talked only about "lunchtime" and was only advice - so schools weren't certain when to close.
    Finally, for parents, "lunchtime" can be a movable feast from anywhere between 11.30 and 1.15 depending on the school - and if you've got kids in primary and secondary even in the same LA you might not necessarily know when it is.
    It would have been better either just to close them all day, or at least say they'll all close at 12, rather than leave a vague timescale.
    On the plus side, at least they're taking the decision before the start of the day, not half way through.

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Not in the far north west - we seem to be on the edge according to the weather map but I was almost blown over twice on my way in and I'm no skinny wee thing anymore! Seriously, we have some tiny S1s and a roof full of tiles (at the moment)......being here is an accident waiting to happen as the storm gains force. At least we will be babysitting the unruly kids instead of their parents doing it: kids+wind=high excitment+no learning, imho anyway.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Hmmm. I'm not sure that's the case.
    "Ministers have advised councils in the west of the country not to open schools in the morning, while those in the east have been advised that they should close at 12pm ahead of the worst of the weather.
    The following councils have been advised not to open schools: Argyll and Bute; East Ayrshire; East Dunbartonshire; East Renfrewshire; Glasgow City; Inverclyde; North Ayrshire; Renfrewshire; South Ayrshire; North Lanarkshire; South Lanarkshire; West Dunbartonshire; Dumfries and Galloway; Western Isles, and western parts of the Highlands and Islands
    These councils have been advised to close at 12pm: Falkirk; East Lothian; Edinburgh City; Midlothian; Scottish Borders; West Lothian; Stirling; Fife; Clackmannanshire, and southern parts of Perth and Kinross."

6. Are Angus, Aberdeen City and shire not to close? Havent seen weatheer reports - how bad is it supposed to be?

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

8. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Just saw a Panda flying past the window ...

9. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

With blue lights flashing or on a Fedex charter flight? [​IMG]

10. Aberdeen City schools were open but children had to be kept in most of break and lunch time. High as kites!

11. Literally or metaphorically? :)

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Do you live close to Edinburgh zoo? [​IMG]

13. In Strathaven Academy lunch starts at 1.25 some days.

14. In Glasgow, schools were shut, but staff were instructed to go in. I did so, dodging flying tiles and overturning buses on the way. When I arrived, I was told to go home, which is what happened when the schools were shut last year with the snow. GCC just can't stand the notion of anyone having a long lie while getting paid.

15. Aye - what is with that? Could they not cut us some slack for once?

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

No chance!

17. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

I can confirm staff did have to attend their school - a total distrust of teachers. Let's get them in for a wee while so they can pick up some marking or development work; it doesn't matter if a tree crashes through their windscreen. Teachers in neighbouring authorities were told not to travel (police advice).

18. East Lothian had all staff in, all day.

19. At the same time as GCC was retweeting police advice not to travel, the director of education sent an email which referred to staff "complaining about being asked to go to work" and instructing heads to make sure staff turned up as usual !

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Similarly, mydoll, I know of one LA whose Director sent a rather reprimanding email to all staff, chastising them for not having gone to school and having stayed there, in the workplace, until after 4pm (the time deemed by the Police for it to be safe to drive again in the West) INSPITE of the fact that their schools phoned them in the morning telling them expressly 'The school is closed, don't come in!'
    It was clear at SG level. The LAs then had to decide for themselves. That's when it all went t!ts up!