1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another Controlled Assessment chestnut.....

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Petite Joueuse, Jun 7, 2011.

1. A pupil came to me today - "Miss, I want to do Chinese GCSE next year - is that possible?" (she is from a Chinese family).
    We have had a few pupils in the past who have done a GCSE in a minority language in the past....and the most difficult part has been finding a native speaker to do the Speaking exam.
    However, under the new system, we would need to do 2 controlled assessments for writing and 2 for speaking....and then find someone who can not only conduct the speaking test but also "moderate" the CAs and mark the speakings. We can get hold of native speakers fairly easily, but know of no-one with an AQA-marking type of background - and the native speaker would need to devise the tasks too.....
    Has anyone any ideas on what we can do? As far as I know, there are no schools in our area delivering Mandarin.

2. A pupil came to me today - "Miss, I want to do Chinese GCSE next year - is that possible?" (she is from a Chinese family).
    We have had a few pupils in the past who have done a GCSE in a minority language in the past....and the most difficult part has been finding a native speaker to do the Speaking exam.
    However, under the new system, we would need to do 2 controlled assessments for writing and 2 for speaking....and then find someone who can not only conduct the speaking test but also "moderate" the CAs and mark the speakings. We can get hold of native speakers fairly easily, but know of no-one with an AQA-marking type of background - and the native speaker would need to devise the tasks too.....
    Has anyone any ideas on what we can do? As far as I know, there are no schools in our area delivering Mandarin.

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Hi Petite Joueuse,
    Could you put her in for iGCSE? I think edexcel offer Chinese and it would mean that she would only do terminal exams rather than controlled assessment. We have a student who wants to do German in a year (she is biligual) outside of normal curriculum time and iGCSE is the route we are taking as we wouldn't be able to squeeze 4 CAs in that time. Also, I don't think that there is a compulsory speaking component for edexcel so it should be fairly straightforward...

4. Are you sure that teh Chinese has changed? I had someone doing Polish this year and her exam was pretty much the same as French was, without the role play in teh speaking - presentation and conversation were still there.
    It is worth checking.
    We had to 'buy in' a Polish tutor for a few sessions from another local school. Ask around, there may be a school that are alos doing Chinese and you could share teachers

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm pretty sure that the "community" langauges have all stuck to the old format: certainly the Turkish, Polish and Urdu have!

6. You could also contact the AQA and Edexcel, who I think both offer Mandarin, they will know which centres in your area teach Mandarin. I am sure that would be helpful.

7. Russian certainly has stuck to the old format (thank goodness!). I'm pretty sure that Edexcel have done the same for Mandarin.

8. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

AQA has moved Mandarin to new format - we are currently doing it. So has Urdu - it's all there on the top of the Task Planning Forms.

9. which area are you in?