1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another cat question.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by justbrowsing, Jun 16, 2011.

1. As there seem to be a lot of cat lovers on here, does anyone have experience of a cat with over active thyroid problems and surgery? I am seeking some reassurance I suppose that this will be his best option and of the pre and after op care.
    I am, of course, talking about this with the vet but would like some other first hand opinions/ experiences please.

2. Sorry not to be able to help. I'd go with the vet's advice. If the op is necessary, I'm sure it'll go well. Cats bounce back!

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

My cat had the operation a few years ago and she's still going strong. She's over 18 and still ruling over us like the tyrant she is. She takes medication in her food.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our cat had a thyroid problem, she spent some of her time looking like a little barrel, and the rest of it permanently ravenous, ie she'd empty a bowl of food in one very rapid sitting then spend the rest of the day trying to nick the other cat's food in any way possible. The vet never offered surgery as an option and she lived for 10 years. If surgery's on offer I'd be tempted to take it.

5. Thanks.
    So far, Ive had a slightly insatisfactory phone conversation about this, will go and pick his brains further.

6. Our oldest cat (the one who is currently missing) was diagnosed with thyroid problems a couple of months ago. He is very thin but is not overly hungry or anything like that-we are treating him with medication at the moment but, according to the vet, the disease is progressing quicker than she expected so who knows what's next? If you are offered surgery, I would take it.

7. I do hope he turns up soon, it must be very worrying for you.