1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another Anxiety Post.........

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Emerald665, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Emerald665

Emerald665 New commenter

Hi all first post here, so thanks in advance. I've recently been signed off for my second period of work related anxiety and have come to the conclusion that I can not carry on and need a career change. My next sick note runs out in about 3 weeks and my doctor has said to try and get things resolved one way or another by then. I'm speaking to my union today about resigning and what to do about my 3 month notice period. Can I get away without working the notice? basically if I were to go back to work in this state I will be off sick again immediately and am very worried for my long term health. I can't cope with the job insecurity, increasing workload and the though of getting my students through another moderation period.
    Any advice would be much appreciated as I am feeling very unsure, confused and frustrated at the moment having never face a situation like this in 15 years of working.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So sorry to hear of a second period of sick leave. You're probably right in that you need to think about not returning to teaching for the near future.

Definitely take your union's advice.

May be that you can take an extended period of sick leave? I know when I did supply cover for a colleague twice, that the allowance for full pay was reduced second time round and I believe sickness can now be counted as reason for dismissal, so you definitely need expert advice.

Emerald665 and pepper5 like this.
  3. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Occasional commenter

Don't know about the rules etc of working out a notice. However, much more importantly, I'm sending you an enormous cyber hug. Anxiety is a total b***h. Keep breathing. Xxxxx

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

You could just put in your resignation wef 31st August, and assume that if you are not fit to return next term, your doctor will keep writing the sick notes. That does have the advantage that you'll continue to get sick pay, but you may find the fact that you will need to return if your health improves is unhelpful to your recovery. You are also supposed to get permission to go for interviews whilst signed off work, so leaving earlier would free you from that.
    Heads are able to waive the normal notice period, and may well be willing to if they realise that otherwise they may be paying you sick pay for the whole of next term. You might want to think carefully about the financial implications, as obviously as soon as the contract ends, so does the pay. Some would be very reasonable and agree to a finish date at the end of the Easter holiday, perhaps, but others might adopt a stance of "you can go now, or you have to stay until the end of August."

If you were going to look for a new school rather than a new career, it's sometimes advised to make sure that your contract end date is a normal one, so that it's not obvious that you've left mid-term, but it sounds like you don't need to worry about that.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you think you are unlikely to ever be well enough to return then just keep seeing the doctor and you will be off until 31st August anyway.
    then hand in your notice in the usual way, before the end of May,

If you can retain the usual leaving time and notice period then try hard to do so.

6. suzuki1690

suzuki1690 New commenter

Do you feel that your doctor is not willing to give you another sick line as you say he said try and get it sorted out within the next 3 weeks? If you are not fit you are not fit, keep asking for sick notes, dont jump out of a job to make it easy for anyone. Best wishes, been there, done that.

7. Tomforever

Tomforever New commenter

No advice but am going through similar thoughts atm so sending best wishes. Just make sure you are sure before doing anything.

Emerald665 likes this.
  8. Emerald665

Emerald665 New commenter

Yes that's the impression he gave me but I didn't really feel comfortable with him and he did not really ask any questions about how I was feeling etc. I think I will ask for another doctor next time as even the thought of walking back through the doors makes me feel sick and anxious and I keep having horrible dreams about the bloody place and the obligatory feeling of letting my students down which is the worst of all! Amongst other things!

9. lastgasp

lastgasp New commenter

The first thing I would say is CHANGE YOUR DOCTOR, really I am serious. A doctor's first obligation is to your health and he should be giving you space to heal, not pushing you towards making decisions when you are not fit to do so. If you think another doctor in the same practice might be better - go now and see. Don't wait until the note is just about to run out, you want these few weeks for getting better not for getting more stressed, and that is a good enough reason to go to another practice doctor for a chat. If you go and they are as unsympathetic, then change the practice. Look at NHS Choices reviews and rating for doctors to see which practices people are recommending near you. Best wishes and a big hug - you are not alone.

Emerald665, Lalad and grumpydogwoman like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm sorry. Did you blow up the school and thus prevent the students from attending? Did you massacre all the local teachers and thus prevent the students from being taught? Did you throw their coursework in the river? Did you embezzle funds from the school so they can't pay for a replacement?

You have let nobody down.

What a silly thing for the doctor to say. As if you want to feel like this. As if you have no interest in resolving things. As if you would be happy to just take sick note after sick note until the end of time. Ridiculous fellow/woman. Don't see that one again. Ask at the desk who is the one with an interest in work-related stress/anxiety and see that one instead.

Emerald665 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

I agree with the last two posts - definitely do not be pressurised into make any decisions about your long term future until you are feeling better. Of course you will feel like packing it all in now, when you are suffering from anxiety/stress - 'tis the nature of the beast!

Edit: can you access counselling or CBT and / or speak to the Education Support Partnership (previously Teacher Support Network)?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  12. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

What a good idea!
    The fire brigade did attend on occasion, but I'd never used nearly enough oxidising agent!
    Wretched smoke detectors!

More seriously, Emerald, sorry to hear you're in a bad way.
    Sometimes another school can turn things around, I agree with the posters who suggest pausing before making final decisions. However, if you feel that you really cannot go back to your current school, I'm sure they'll negotiate an amicable early departure. Take advantage of union membership to ensure that financial terms and references are as good as they can be.
    There is a wide world outside mainstream schools and your skills and knowledge will be appreciated somewhere, but you may need to be patient.
    Meanwhile, therapeutic cups of tea and the company of friends and relatives will help rebuild your state of mind.

13. Emerald665

Emerald665 New commenter

I will look into that, thanks

14. gwest91

gwest91 New commenter

Hi @Emerald665 I'm sorry to hear you've had such a hard time. I'm leaving teaching myself at the moment and though I can't advise on leaving dates I'm currently working on a blog with advice on changing career away from teaching. https://teachinggems.wordpress.com/ you might find some of the posts interesting and I will be doing one soon on mindfulness which might help to alleviate some of your anxiety, a lot of people have found it very beneficial so it might be worth a shot. I hope this helps and good luck for the future!

15. Emerald665

Emerald665 New commenter

thanks I will take a look!

16. pineapplehead

pineapplehead New commenter

Hi Emerald, sorry you are having such a grim time at the moment. One thing I did while on my current time off for anxiety and depression was to email my HR department with a request that I be referred to Occupational Health before returning to work. The OH doctor was amazing and I have a 4 week phased return after Easter. Afterwards went to see my usual GP who had been not hugely sympathetic when I asked for a previous certificate but on the advice I had received from the OH doctor he gave me a new certificate. Good luck!

17. Emerald665

Emerald665 New commenter

I have just received an email from the school via a third party asking for various information and gather from this that no adequate cover has been put in place for my students if I were to go back I just see huge piles of work that I won't be able to get through without breaking down again. I thought I was starting to get a bit better but have just spiralled down to where I was when I was signed off. In myself I feel a month was long enough to get adequate cover in gather the relevant information needed for exam boards etc... Back to the doctors tomorrow me thinks.....SIGH....

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Words fail! :rolleyes:

Emerald665 likes this.
  19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You are all victims. Partly of the current ethos and partly the cuts. It all boils down to money with a sprinkling of ideology thrown in.

School probably couldn't find anyone decent at the pay they could afford. Why is there nobody decent just itching to teach? Hmm. I don't need to go into that.

You are a victim. You'd have to go back to chaos and, come the end of the year, you'd be blamed for lack of progress. The kids are victims. They can't get good teachers for love nor money.

Back to the GP. You can't fix this by yourself.

Lara mfl 05 and Emerald665 like this.
  20. Emerald665

Emerald665 New commenter

Thanks for all of your suggestions I saw a very good doctor today who confirmed I have depression and anxiety, that I should not be at work and to take as long as I need to get myself better which was a massive relief!