1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another agency con?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Jolly_Roger15, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

On Thursday, i was cold called by an agency the name of which begins with the indefinite article followed by the word for the tall, pointed structure atop a church. It started off with the usual 'i saw your CV online' guff, and then went on to 'have had had any recent school experience?' bit. When I said no, he made himself sound disappointed, and regretted that i would not pass 'compliance' without a school reference from the last two years. Then, he appeared to have an idea, telling me that if i did voluntary work in a school for a fortnight, and got a reference, this would get around the compliance problem. I really became suspicious when he said, "Would you like me to arrange this? I've got contacts in many schools local to you."

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Having taken a lengthy career break some agencies wouldn’t take me on. The one named after a water plant accepted character references.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

You could,if you wanted, do some voluntary work in schools on your own terms, eg listening to young children read.

I don’t know if this would be acceptable to you. Are you still applying for work?

Could you do tutoring? Surely that could count towards references?

pepper5 likes this.
  4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Just shows how saturated the supply market is in North London, if there were the same shortages of Maths/Science that exist in West Yorks then compliance would be sailed through.
    So I agree that it's a con so the agency can get a few brownie points with a school.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

@Deirds : Thank you for your suggestions. I do have a few students that i tutor privately. I have given up on the fantasy of working in schools again, in a paid capacity anyway. When I was still hoping to get back into teaching, i did contact schools, offering to do some voluntary work but none replied.

I still get call from agencies, of the, "I saw your CV online," sort, usually trying to inveigle me into working for nothing, to 'put something back':mad:. An agency trying to cash in on someone's need to do voluntary work, in order to get a recent reference, is a new one on me!

pepper5 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  6. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

It is disgraceful.

7. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

There is no way school would you a reference, because you did two weeks voluntary work.

FrauRussell and pepper5 like this.
  8. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

That's a jolly wheeze to get some free work! Is the agency doing it for nothing too? How noble. It's disgraceful.

9. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

Put what back exactly????? What did teaching ever give that schools would want back? "Here, school XYZ, have our WRS, sleepless nights, marking load". Oh how we laughed!

JohnJCazorla and Happyregardless like this.
  10. Jolly_Roger15

@FrauRussell : Being offered a 'chance to put something back' as euphemism for unpaid work is a common experience for retired teachers who are still trying to find teaching work to supplement their pensions. Some heads seem to think that we are sitting at home, with out fat pensions, and so are ripe for exploitation.

Former colleagues and i have been to interviews for teaching jobs, advertised in the usual way, only to be offered the position but without the salary! I find galling to be asked to work for free by someone earning a seven figure salary, and wearing a suit worth more than my car.

blazer and schoolsout4summer like this.
  11. girlychemist

girlychemist New commenter

I always ask HoD for a reference when i am in a school. If for any reason they don't give me one I get one from the Agency I worked for at that school. Agencies in my experience will accept a reference from another agency.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  12. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

They will and if they won't then it's because they aren't bothered if you're on their books or not (when there isn't enough work to go round their regulars, for instance)
    All agencies want is "JJC worked at this school on these dates and no safeguarding problems", that can be done by another agency on the phone and you can bet the phone will be ringing if they have the chance for JJC to provide them some commission.

13. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

I have had a lot of issues with agencies accepting other agencies references. Saying we need an in-depth reference.