1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anonymity

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by thinkypublishing, Feb 28, 2016.

1. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

Having had my name and photo published in the TES blog some days ago I'm surprised to discover that in another post (now closed to replies) that apparently "Swopping personal information with people you don't know is hazardous. Posters are supposed to be anonymous....".

Now given that:
    1. I'm an adult (confident I can handle the hazardous nature of revealing my identity)
    2. on the resources shops you can already provide the details being shared in that topic
    3. I've read a few 'author blogs' (even seen some films!), most of which seem quite clear about who's who

I'm interested therefore as to why it's ok to post these details in certain parts of this website, but not others?

I've read through the Community Guidelines and this section:
    "Anonymity: Users will not identify (nor describe in a way which could feasibly lead to identification) schools, students or fellow members of the community."

reads to me as though it were intended to prevent users from revealing the details of others, not a stipulation for people to ensure their personal anonymity (which would be impossible given all the above). Perhaps I'm incorrect in that, however if so there's going to be an issue for those sharing resources under their own identity.

mathsmutt and Charleei like this.
  2. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I agree thinky. Given that TES has had no issue with this type of promotion before, they are happy to use our personal details in their own promotions, they actually requested I use my twitter account to promote the BETT talk and that the removed posts were not even about personal pages but were in reference to business pages I am inclined to believe it may be from an over zealous moderator?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    mathsmutt, cate_h and thinky like this.
  3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Was your name posted together with your identity? My Subject Genius blogs have my name and picture on them, but they're not linked to my Community identity - although it wouldn't be difficult to work out who I was.

People clearly don't read the Community guidelines, though - someone who misunderstood a post of mine (he thought it was about him and took it personally, even though I had no idea it applied to him) in a subject forum accused me of "hiding behind an anonymous identity" when I was merely following the rules.

4. TheGingerTeacher

Nope it was for Facebook business pages. There seems to be no reason to delete and close the thread. I have messaged TES to ask why.

5. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I think it's hard to suit all eventualities. Maybe TES are covering their back(s) (convoluted phrase but you know what I mean). I've seen posts asking for guidance about a Head or a terrible staff room situation etc. etc. where, by using a (presumably) real name to post, anyone working there would know who/where/what was being talked about. As teachers have such a big role in teaching about 'keeping safe online', I guess it's wise to practise what one preaches...

6. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @thinky,

Thank you for your feedback. Anonymity is required in some parts of the forum, for example when posting on Workplace Dilemmas where members are asked to read the following thread:

https://community.tes.com/threads/helpful-tips-for-posting-in-this-forum.726116/

This is not a mandatory rule, but merely a suggestion for people who wish to protect their identity to allow them to discuss more sensitive issues concerning them. Other TES members can also choose to use their display name instead of their real name in other parts of the site.

However, we ask members not to post the names of schools or any other information/images which could identify educational institutions.

The terms and conditions state:

You agree to not use the Services to:

• upload, post, email, PM (personal message) or otherwise transmit any User-Uploaded Content that:
    • post content which refers to individual schools, colleges or agencies - or their staff - whether by name, or identifiable by a pseudonym or any other means...
    I hope this helps to clarify the anonymity issue you raised.

7. thinkypublishing

Thank you - all very sensible and as I'd thought was the case. It would seem unnecessary then for the discussion in question to have been deleted and closed, particularly in the manner in which it was done.

Charleei likes this.
  8. TheGingerTeacher

I agree think thank you TES for replying but does not explain the closed thread and the deleted posts.

9. TES_Rosaline

10. thinkypublishing

11. cyclops77

cyclops77 New commenter

Dear Rosaline, considering the matter you clarified below...

... i am truly in favour of anonymity on the TES Forums, therefore I would like to know how does TES help us safeguard it since the forum's profile is linked to the resources section. Iow, Is there a button or procedure to modify or delete previous posts?

thanks in advance,

12. TES_Rosaline

Hello @cyclops77,

Thank you for your question.

TES members can choose to use their display name instead of their real name in other parts of the site by selecting the option in their user profile.

New posts can be edited for up to six minutes. There is no function to edit older messages.

If forum members are worried about the information in their posts revealing too much information about them or they have included, for example a mobile number, they can contact the Moderation Team by sending an email to TES.Community@tesglobal.com or the Customer Services Team help@tesglobal.com to request that the comments are deleted. The request should include the link to the post/thread and the reason why they want the content deleted.