1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anonymity on the Web

Discussion in 'Personal' started by uu15926, Mar 31, 2017.

1. uu15926

uu15926 New commenter

Having spent the last 20 years as a web publisher, I am "all over the web". It's been suggested that I expunge as much of it as possible, including changing my username here. Good advice?

Or is it viable to teach under a pseudonym?

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Erm, you forgot to post the links to "yourself all over the web" too.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Sorry, that was too flippant when clearly you have asked a good question.
    I don't use Facebook as it's not prudent for teachers. I have zero web-presence relating to my name.
    This is because as a teacher you are already vulnerable to exploitation of anything known about you.Sanction correctly just one child who is in fact a complete miscreant, and all sorts of merry hell can be instigated based on something innocuous which you posted online 10 years ago.
    You do have options.
    You could decide that whatever is already there is utterly and inviolably neutral, and forget it.
    You could remove whatever is there.
    You could change your name.
    I have known of two people who changed their name by actual Deed Poll for teaching. One was because their initial and surname were the same as somebody else in the school. And another was because they had the same name as a certain celebrity, and worried about being categorised as a poser. Think, say, "Buddy Holly" as a commensurate "what-are-the-chances-of-that" gauge.
    Why not a third, because they prefer to keep their perfectly legitimate history under another hat?
    Maybe you could"go by" another name. Don't know.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. uu15926

uu15926 New commenter

No problem. I'm at an age now where I am fairly thick-skinned, but can do without harassment on top of teaching. Changing my name by deed poll seems like the simplest option.

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

If you intent to become a teacher, then yes it is a good idea to be unidentifiable.
    If you have an existing virtual identity this might be more difficult for you.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I too am "all over the web". In my case it is because of running a number of web sites over the last 17 years and having a Twitter account that is connected to a web site, I am also on FB.

I don't teach any more but did for the whole time I have had these web presences.

The most important question: Is there anything out there that can bring you into disrepute in any way? With employers, parents or pupils? In my case, my sites came before any social media presence and as I was already a teacher I have always assumed anything I write online can potentially be seen by anyone anywhere, so I have been careful from the beginning.

My real name is not Mangleworzle however and I suggest you don't use yours on here.

I would get some kid I taught every now and then discover one of my sites and tell me they had the next day. I also used some of my pages projected on the board during lessons, so it wasn't exactly a secret.

Make sure your address and phone number aren't out there, don't use your real name on forums and don't say anything online you would be ashamed to say to anyone in person.

7. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Personally, I think the less info there is of me on the web, the better. My student tried to look me up before placement. She said there was nothing of me on the net. Just how I like it!

Facebook. Twitter. Not a chance!

1 person likes this.
  8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

@uu15926
    Although your user name has changed the"Discussion started by..." still has your real name. Is this just a question of time for it to change or do you need to alert TES?

9. uu15926

uu15926 New commenter

I'll alert TES anyway. Also has my old photo.

10. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Your old avatar will change over the next day or so.