1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anonymise my social media?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by marbeless, Aug 24, 2019.

1. marbeless

marbeless New commenter

Hello all,

I’m about to start my PGCE. I’m a mature student and have been freelancing as a sole trader under my own name, so I have various social media accounts, a few publications and a website that use my name. I’m also autistic, and am open about that in person and on social media, frequently advocating for better inclusion.

But... now I’m wondering whether I need to distance my teaching self from all that.

I don’t want to close it all down, because I’m still involved in a few projects and hope to continue (links with my subject, so could be good Continued Professional Development etc). In many ways I’d like to continue being identified with these accounts because I have overcome quite a bit to get to this point and I’m not ashamed of my past struggles with access and I think it’s good to show that teachers are human and haven’t had charmed lives before ending up in the classroom.

So I’m interested in your thoughts - I am considering three options in particular-

1) I keep it separate and don’t explicitly link them with teaching - plausible deniability.

2) Keep it separate and use a different variation of my name within teaching e.g. take my middle name, and effectively have a new professional teaching persona separate from my freelance one. - separation

3) I just keep doing what I’ve been doing, stand by what I post (perhaps think it through more carefully, set up a new style guide for myself) - no hiding.

Advice? Thoughts? Benefit of your experience?

Whatever I decide, if I’m changing names I will need to do so before starting my PGCE.

thanks

marbeless

2. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Just make sure that anything that may make you look unprofessional (photos of yourself drunk, any swearing, etc) are not visible to pupils. Make sure your personal details are not on your profile. Disable the 'add friend' option.
    Most teachers use their first name and middle name on FB however the URL of their profile is still their full name so teachers are still easy to find.
    Good luck on your PGCE.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

We advise our new trainees to switch Fb and Instagram to first name middle name. All your current 'friends' will know who you are. Professional business accounts like twitter are less problematic. Just have a new separate account for personal stuff and stick to business stuff in the main one. Delete any messages pertaining to personal opinions and personal information or change name.

agathamorse and Stiltskin like this.
  4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Unless you have an extremely unusual last name I doubt the students would find you on these social media platforms, as long as you're not using photos of course.

5. marbeless

marbeless New commenter

Many thanks all - sorry for late reply, I moved into my student digs having been told I’d be taking over all utilities (inc phone) only to find the phone line was disconnected. Very little mobile signal and still waiting on a connection to set up broadband. Wasn’t ignoring the replies and many thanks for the advice, you’ve put my mind to rest (I have a pretty common last name).

agathamorse and blueskydreaming like this.
  6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

It is not just students who will look up your social media profile but also prospective employers. You do not need a lot of information about a person in order to find them on social media and the details given away in an application form are more than adequate.

So as @MrMedia suggests and on any personal accounts lock down all the privacy settings. Use another account/anonymous browser to see what others can see of you (some platforms offer this, like Facebook).