1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annunziata Rees-Mogg unfamiliar with...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jun 20, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

...the whole concept of being given the tools to do a job by your employer. She seems to think her EP iPad is her property.
    [​IMG]Annunziata Rees-Mogg‏@zatzi 23h23 hours ago

Annunziata Rees-Mogg Retweeted The Brexit Party

I think I might watch this on my shiny new iPad I was given by the European Parliament for no very obvious reason. We need to leave the corrupt gravy train, as we were promised we would.

There are some very funny replies in the thread, such as this one:
    Sharon O'Dea‏Verified account@sharonodea 2h2 hours ago

Replying to @zatzi

I was part of the team that led the roll out of iPads at the UK Parliament. Our work showed these have a significantly lower cost for delivery of order papers, as well as enabling members to work more efficiently. Have you considered actually doing some work on it?

Alice K, Dodros, catmother and 8 others like this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I've heard teachers say "my school" despite not owning it.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I think you should have warned us about the photo. I was nearly triggered.

4. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Your point, caller?

I would say ‘my school’, to distinguish it from other schools. I recognised the fact that I was expected to work there.

I would say ‘my laptop’ to distinguish it from all the other staff laptops. If you were to look at my laptop, providing you knew the password, you would find lesson plans, teaching materials, emails to colleagues and parents, reports, data (endless, bl**dy data) and other cures for insomnia. At no point did I think, when I took possession of it, ‘Oooh, what a lovely present.’

5. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

6. LondonCanary

And we wring our hands about teenage cyber-bullying .

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I'm feeling very young this morning!

nizebaby likes this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I've heard head teachers day "my staff" despite not owning them either.

... And I've seen posters claiming "my thread" after posting the OP.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You have missed the point being made. It is not about the use of the pronoun 'my'. It's about her belief that the EU is handing out a 'shiny new iPad' to every MEP as an unnecessary present.
    She seems to be unfamiliar with the concept of an employer issuing IT equipment for work purposes.

phlogiston and emerald52 like this.
  10. LondonCanary

Why an ipad? Why does she need it?

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's a mobile piece of technology. MEPs travel a lot. The EU can now be sure that their MEPs will receive documents electronically and will be able to acess them anywhere.
    The alternative would be posting documents to the home address of every MEP and to their Brussels or other bases when they are not at home. That would cost far more than giving everyone an iPad.

phlogiston, emerald52 and knitone like this.
  12. LondonCanary

Why does she need an ipad (specifically an ipad) to do that? I wouldn't be surprised to find that she had that sort of technology already.
    (She's not an MEP yet)

13. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I've seen posters claiming "my comment" after having written something.

I despair :D

nomad likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Ownership on a forum! My ar5e!

nizebaby, Ivartheboneless and knitone like this.
  15. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

this is all a bit silly, point is she should probably have realised it was to enable her to do some work on, i realise the BP maybe the idea of "work" maybe a foreign (are we allowed to use that word when talking about them ;) ) concept specially given Mr Farage's UKIP EU record, id like to think that was the point of the OP

but this is TES where people/bots/trolls who are uncomfortable about their idols and loves fielding criticism results in a debate about semantics :rolleyes:

Also see Climate change, Brexit Bus and recently TV debates

Joyus :D

coffeekid and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  16. LondonCanary

Unfortunately it was just fake outrage about a trivial twitter post.

17. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

I have a company issued iPad that has added security software (company specific build) embedded that isn’t available for a personal owned one. Apparently it is more secure than using a laptop while out of the office, but can’t vouch for that.

I don’t think other tablet manufacturers support business applications to the same extent as Apple.

irs1054 and emerald52 like this.
  18. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Because it is for work. She shouldn’t use her personal IT equipment for her role as MEP, and vice versa.
    She will take up her seat in less than a fortnight.

phlogiston and emerald52 like this.
  19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Unfamiliar with....morals?

nomad and knitone like this.
  20. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Unfamiliar with - the wonderful world of work.

grumpydogwoman, emerald52 and nomad like this.