1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annual spending on holidays

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jamvic, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I was pottering around on the MSE website and came across this poll. I know it’s not robust research and small numbers of respondents but found the questions it raised about single people and their holiday habits interesting.

It seems that regards of household type most people tend to spend 1-2 months after tax income on annual holidays.

I wondered if this meant single people buy much more luxurious holidays than couples & families? I suppose it could mean they are paying large supplements for holidaying alone or perhaps they tend to go away more times during the year so spend more on themselves. I also noticed the difference in the number of single people who don’t go on holiday at all in comparison to couples or families.

BA84B9B6-48D5-4A86-8FE1-EB595985B1C5.jpeg

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Unless I went quite upmarket I can’t see how I would spend 1-2 months income on a holiday if I was going alone.

Edit: I’m thinking of pre-retirement i.e. working income of course.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

If I added up everything including weekends away then I can easily see how it could get to at least one month, particularly if you include everything, travel, food, going out, etc.
    I don't go overseas but we do have one week every year and about 3-4 weekends here and there, and I reckon we spend in total 4-6 weeks joint salary/pension so it isn't difficult to do. I work part time though, so if I did say a 3 week cruise, it would be several months salary.

Jamvic, colpee and emerald52 like this.
  4. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

I guess when I was single I spent a higher proportion of my wages on holidays simply because I didn’t earn anywhere near as much as I do now that I am married with kids, though lifestyle on holiday probably also accounts for quite a bit. For example a week’s skiing in my youth might have cost a month’s post tax wages, whereas now a week with the family might cost half a month’s wages. A combination of earning more now and enjoying an early night after the slopes rather than long apres ski sessions.

Jamvic likes this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I'm single and almost all my holidays I go alone (just one week a year I go with a friend).

I have a campervan, which I use for long weekends plus a longer break in the summer.

I also do several long weekends away as part of my interest in children's books. I know the people I meet on these, but they're acquaintances rather than friends.

I also go with companies - HF Holidays & Exodus are my two most frequent. The single room supplement is a major obstacle with most companies; the cost is often OUTRAGEOUS. However, HF has a number of single rooms in their British houses, and with Exodus, if you're willing to share a room with a stranger but then don't need to, you get a room to yourself at no extra charge.

I think for a lot of single people, actually going alone among strangers (many of whom are couples) is the scary part. But themed holidays (e.g. walking holidays) mean you are with a group of people with a common interest, so it's easy to become part of the group. Once you've plucked up the courage to do it, it's fine.

Certainly this year I am spending more than 2 months' income on holidays.

Jamvic likes this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

A weekend in a Porthcawl caravan would cover two months of my last job salary.
    However, MrA's salary provides a two week foreign holiday, one or two short breaks in Europe and a couple of trips to London, so yes, about two months' worth. Can't take it with you.

primarycat and Jamvic like this.
  7. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I've just totted it up- about 8 weeks in 2019 away from home (mixture of short breaks, staying with family, foreign trips and a cruise).

Total cost? Significantly more than 2 months pension. As the slogan goes: 'Spending my kid's inheritance '!

Jamvic likes this.
  8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Couldn’t agree more with that sentiment.

9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I did wonder if this might be a factor.

install likes this.
  10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

We are in a bit of a slump holiday planning wise. Neither of us have any clue what we want to do, if anything, this year. Apart from agreeing we don’t want another long haul flight we can’t think of anything that particularly inspires us. We’re seriously considering not bothering.

install likes this.
  11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I think this year is the first time we are not considering a holiday due to finances It has almost becoming imperative I gain a source of income, but the older I become, the more I am not inclined to work as I have got used to being at home.
    I find it seems for 2 of us it to cost a lot of our pensions to go on holiday,even if my wife is really good at saving unlike me!
    Even a week in th UK can cost nearly £1000 with accommodation food and travel. Plus I have a wife who has virtually no desire to travel abroad.

Jamvic likes this.
  12. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Being single means my income is all for me and I'm not supporting kids, so, yes, I probably spend around two months salary on holidays.

The single supplements rack it up, but I accept that if I want a room of my own then that's the price I have to pay.

It's a choice I make on how to spend my hard earned cash and my leisure time.

13. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

When I first read the title, I thought it was an insane amount of money but thinking about it, I easily hit the 2 months' salary in 2019. I took 2 trips (when I normally would only take one) and all things considered I would do it again. I usually go for a week away walking somewhere in Europe with Exodus but I decline the single supplement.
    My holidays are my own now that I have quit teaching and I would class myself as not very materialistic; I'd rather spend my money on a week away than on going out to the pub every weekend. :)

sunshineneeded, chelsea2 and Jamvic like this.
  14. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Now the child is of an age where she can reflect properly, we are considering a ‘battlefield tour’ break this summer.
    We normally do sun and pool, but fancy a change.

Jamvic likes this.
  15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

main-qimg-b316856ef7055268c50bde52c49d3ca2.gif

Jamvic likes this.
  16. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Sounds interesting. Those first few holidays as a couple again are lovely. You’ll have a great time.

We’ve had 10 years of child/young adult free breaks/holidays now though and we’ve more or less done all the things we said we wanted to when the kids left home. The last couple of years have been really nice holidays but a bit ‘rinse & repeat’. Neither of us enjoy long flights any more and every time we’ve ever tried to holiday anywhere in the UK the weather has been carp. I’m usually the one that comes up with a good idea but I’ve got nothing so far. I’m sure I’ll think of something eventually.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We have one holiday a year - as a teacher I reckon I deserve a Summer break for getting through the year. We've had a couple of reasonably expensive ones in the last few years.

They were worth it. !

BertieBassett2 and Jamvic like this.
  18. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Amen to that. The key thing in planning a holiday as a working teacher is to ensure you go places with the least possible chance of bumping into any kids you know. There’s nothing worse than being greeted while laid horizontal on a sun-bed in your bikini with the dreaded words “hello miss” :eek:.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  19. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I met a teacher on holiday who flew out of a London airport, rather than her local Manchester airport, to minimise the chances of that. She was afraid of photos of her in a bikini being circulated in her school.

Jamvic and BertieBassett2 like this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

She sunbathes in airports ?

Jamvic, BertieBassett2 and bonxie like this.