1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annual school trip argument...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jeangenie, Jul 7, 2012.

1. I have done it again.... I tried hard not to, but... once again I have organised a KS1 trip and I have been told a limited number of adult helpers are allowed. Other adults above this number (5 to 30) will have to pay. ALL the adults are LSA/support staff and teachers. The two extras are 1-1 with statemented autistic children who require 1-1 at school in a familiar environment therefore would NOT be put in a larger group with more children when on unfamiliar territory. I know zoos, wildlife parks etc need to make their money but surely the school should identify the appropriate support necessary for their pupils? What do teachers working in special schools do? Are you forced to pay more because of your adult/child ratios? I now refuse to use two providers because of this - one which insisted on 3 adults per class and I had 32 children.... [​IMG]

2. I have done it again.... I tried hard not to, but... once again I have organised a KS1 trip and I have been told a limited number of adult helpers are allowed. Other adults above this number (5 to 30) will have to pay. ALL the adults are LSA/support staff and teachers. The two extras are 1-1 with statemented autistic children who require 1-1 at school in a familiar environment therefore would NOT be put in a larger group with more children when on unfamiliar territory. I know zoos, wildlife parks etc need to make their money but surely the school should identify the appropriate support necessary for their pupils? What do teachers working in special schools do? Are you forced to pay more because of your adult/child ratios? I now refuse to use two providers because of this - one which insisted on 3 adults per class and I had 32 children.... [​IMG]

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

There are some places which allow an adult/carer supporting an autistic child free entry. Worth asking to see.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Push the venue on it, mentioning special needs, disability discrimination and risk assessment. I can see why they might have rules to prevent schools bringing along every parent who fancies a free day out, but I can't imagine any sensible venue refusing extras for specific reasons like this. Unless they want the story in the paper "school trip cancelled because...".