1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

annual reports for pupils

Discussion in 'Governors' started by charmedimsure, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Hi I would be very interested to know whether the full annual report to parents re their children is going to be a thing of the past. I recently posted this on secondary

Can I ask what form most end of year reports take. I know in our school each year has/had their 'full' report at different times so as to stagger the work involved for teachers. My twins in yr 7 have so far had one progress report each, which was a form telling me their past and present levels and predicted end of KS3 levels. They brought home their reports today with another of these sheets (Markuss you would love them, absolutely rifddled with sub levels!). There was also a brief paragraph from their respective form tutors explaining about the citizenship course and PSHEC, 2 lines about their contribution to the tutorials and 3 lines on attendance. (Both over 94% but comments from tutors to say they would like to see an improvement on these figures. My 2 older children at some time during yr 7 brought home very full reports with comments from each subject staff. Is this something that schools are moving away from. I think it is very helpful to parents to know from individual teachers how their children have settled in the first year of secondary.
    I have spoken to quite a few parents who were very shocked to receive such short reports on their children especially as there was never any notification that full annual reports were not going to be sent out anymore.
    As I mentioned when posting in secondary we have always had the parents evening (usually after the full school report so you have something to discuss) and one other progress report earlier in the year. One parent I spoke to had absolutely no idea what all of the levels meant and whether they were good or bad for her child (apart from English, Maths and Science where you can tell if your child has progressed from yr 6). I thought parents were to have more feed back from schools, not less, but I'm very interested to hear whether full reports are to be phased out.

2. Hi I would be very interested to know whether the full annual report to parents re their children is going to be a thing of the past. I recently posted this on secondary

Can I ask what form most end of year reports take. I know in our school each year has/had their 'full' report at different times so as to stagger the work involved for teachers. My twins in yr 7 have so far had one progress report each, which was a form telling me their past and present levels and predicted end of KS3 levels. They brought home their reports today with another of these sheets (Markuss you would love them, absolutely rifddled with sub levels!). There was also a brief paragraph from their respective form tutors explaining about the citizenship course and PSHEC, 2 lines about their contribution to the tutorials and 3 lines on attendance. (Both over 94% but comments from tutors to say they would like to see an improvement on these figures. My 2 older children at some time during yr 7 brought home very full reports with comments from each subject staff. Is this something that schools are moving away from. I think it is very helpful to parents to know from individual teachers how their children have settled in the first year of secondary.
    I have spoken to quite a few parents who were very shocked to receive such short reports on their children especially as there was never any notification that full annual reports were not going to be sent out anymore.
    As I mentioned when posting in secondary we have always had the parents evening (usually after the full school report so you have something to discuss) and one other progress report earlier in the year. One parent I spoke to had absolutely no idea what all of the levels meant and whether they were good or bad for her child (apart from English, Maths and Science where you can tell if your child has progressed from yr 6). I thought parents were to have more feed back from schools, not less, but I'm very interested to hear whether full reports are to be phased out.

3. As far as I am aware the legislation regarding annual reports has not changed. Try teachernet for more on this.
    It does seem that schools are forever tinkering with the format of these reports. Perhaps more to reduce teacher workload than provide useful and digestable information for parents!

4. Thanks Tom I checked out teachernet and found many thingd including the following
    For all pupils
    • Brief comments of a pupil's progress in each subject and activity studied as part of the school curriculum. These should highlight strengths and development needs.
    • The pupil's general progress.
    • Arrangements for parents to discuss the report with a teacher at the school.
    • A summary of the pupil's attendance record during the period to which the information in the report relates.
    For KS3/4 all reports must include at least this. There is also a link to say that this is a statutory requirement. I shall contact the school to see why they did not think to tell us that they were doing away with the annual reports we had previously received. If they come up with a better system that saves the teachers some work but still telss us as parents what we should know then that will be beilliant. What I and others received was not acceptable.

5. I agree completely with the time it takes to write reports and indeed to write them accurately and give the parent an insight into their childs education.

I now use www.rapid-report.co.uk, this piece of software allows you to write accurate student reports, it automatically inserts their names and grades from a spreadsheet and comes with free subject comment banks which you can keep on record.

I now have hundreds of detailed sentences and keep up to date assessment records throughout the term and am able to provide parents with accurate reports.</font>

6. You sound like a sales rep we once had.

Funny, that!

7. i don't mean to, im an ICT and media teacher in Surrey, just found the software useful!

8. At the highly effective and oversubscribed secondary school where I am a governor, the system changed to a very brief system of reporting about two years ago. This was greeted with quite a lot of resistance at first, but now, most parents have realised the value of the new system. It was acknowkledged that report writing was taking an unreasonable amount of time. Often the remarks were churned out with not enough individuality. So with just brief grades for attainment, targets and effort, and reports issued twice a year, parents are able to make an instant comparison with previous reports and therefore to see if things are going well or not. Our school is very fortunate in having an incredibly high amount of parental support and corresponding attendance at progress evenings which helped soften the blow.
    I am a primary supply teacher and am horrified at the huge amount of words that primary teachers are required to put into school reports, trying to find different phrases for the same thing.And what happens to these wordy reports once they have been read? Usually put in a drawer and left.

9. I'm all for cutting time consuming paperwork for teachers and allowing them more time to teach. These 'reports' that we received gave past, present and predicted levels in each subject.Marvellous for the parents who understand not so good for those that don't. So that is all they are now computer generated sheets and no comments from individual subject teachers. Many parents know that teachers tend to use the same comments for many children but at some time you need to know how your child is managing in a particular teacher's class, how they interact with their peers etc etc. No wonder parents are resistant, The reason most of us come round in the end is because we have no choice.