1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Annual flights the norm or...?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by roamingteacher, Jan 4, 2018.

  1. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Mine, no. Second tier at best.
  2. lottee1000

    lottee1000 Occasional commenter

    Mine thinks it's first tier... Probably on a global scale its second.
  3. karel

    karel Occasional commenter

    I'm in Eastern Europe, I don't know what tier I would call my school. I don't know how to interpret this to be honest.
    Anyhow we get flights for teachers and all dependents. I think its after the first 2 year contract, then every year thereafter. The amount is according to locational zones. To get the money we just need to provide proof that we travelled home at some point during the school year. This doesn't require receipts, the fixed amount is given, the school just wants to know that we did actually travel home at some point.
  4. Fer888

    Fer888 Occasional commenter

    I would say Oman- third tier, China second tier
  5. sah79

    sah79 Occasional commenter

    My current school in Thailand provides them at the end of each contract. This is one of the many reasons that I only sign yearly contracts - that way me and my child have a flight home every year.
  6. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    dont most people sign yearly contracts after the initial 2 years? i thought this was the "norm".
  7. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Most schools in Shanghai have a two year contract and call it breach of contract if you leave after one year. This is a grey area under Chinese Labour Law which all international teachers are covered under. One school has started issuing a three year contract and if you leave before the end its called a breach of contract. The school then refuse to issue the necessary letters for the teacher to transfer to another school in China or at least making it more difficult.
  8. schmedz

    schmedz Occasional commenter

    I think we must be at the same school!
  9. SecondPlace

    SecondPlace Occasional commenter

    Depends on the school. Some schools will offer 1, 2 or 3 year extensions, some only 1. It varies.
  10. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    well you learn something new everyday :)
  11. makhnovite

    makhnovite Occasional commenter

    In my experience every school does what it thinks is best for its own recruitment and retention. It depends on the attitude/prejudices of the recruiter, usually the Principal or Head of Section. The demands of the market in their country/region/city. The incentives they feel they have to offer as a result of that market (so package, gratuity, etc) and the local labour laws.

    This is by no means an exhaustive list. There is no 'norm'! And if there ever was, it is changing rapidly.
  12. sah79

    sah79 Occasional commenter

    My school offers any term you want, some people want security and ask for a longer contract. Some people want a new role/more CPD opportunities abroad and so the school will ask for a longer contract in order to 'get their monies worth' from it. Some people want to keep their options open each year so opt for 1 year contracts. Pay rises are set per year regardless of the length of contract signed.

Share This Page