1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annual flights the norm or...?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by roamingteacher, Jan 4, 2018.

1. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

Up til now, my experience - and that of my friends / colleagues - is that schools pay annual flights for the family. Sometimes this is after the initial 2-year contract, but even mid-level schools seem to offer this. Have I just been super lucky, and limited in the people I meet, or is it your opinion that it is standard (for decent schools at least) to provide such flights?
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

One annual return flight to home of record for you and all your dependants. Extremely normal in my experience.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It’s very typical but it’s not the only model out there. Mainstream Europe is a prime example, rarely offering flights at all.

4. roamingteacher

Thanks for replies. I'm talking Asia in a country with MANY international schools.
    Dubbells66 and gulfgolf - is your experience in 'the better' schools, or for all schools? Just need some clarity so I know I'm not making entitled assumptions.

5. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I would say it's very common but not universal. A number of schools also offer airfare at the end of every contract instead of every year (so every two years). I would guess most of those schools would fall into the smaller and/or lower tier schools (not necessarily bad, but not best/1st tier).

576 likes this.
  6. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Should be standard for 'decent' schools.

7. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Yes, I would agree that annual airfares are the rule, but of course you won't get them in most countries in Western Europe. Eastern Europe, yes, you probably will get them. The school where I was teaching in Kenya, just outside Nairobi, only gave airfares every two years.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

And "decent" school should be providing it. I honestly not heard of a decent school that i know of....and i have worked in Asia, but never worked at a top tier school

9. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I advise looking at the overall package and conditions to see if it works nicely for you.
    Establishing non-negotiable expectations for all decent schools is a paper exercise that will exclude some lovely options.

576 and StrangePanda like this.
  10. roamingteacher

This is helpful. The more voices, the better so please respond if you have anything to add (even if it's just more of the same). Thanks!

11. hellothisismyusername

hellothisismyusername New commenter

I know a big , top tier school in Thailand that only has flights every two years

Everything else about it is great

schmedz likes this.
  12. karel

karel Occasional commenter

I know of quite a few schools that only give flights every 2 years and some of them are decent schools. In Europe every 2 years is normal, especially for Western Europe. I know of some schools that used to give flights every year and now only every 2 years, and others that used to give every 2 years and now only at beginnnibg and end of employment. A few years ago when I interviewed with a couple of schools in Singapore I found out that some of these schools only provided flights for the teacher, not for dependents. So as schools make cutbacks this is definitely an benefit that is being reduced in some cases.

13. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I interviewed with a school that only did flights every two years. My current school provides them yearly for employee and dependents.

14. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Only get flight allowance for the member of staff employed by the school. Family members are not covered by the school directly. It is allowed to use family members tickets to cover unclaimed flight allowance.

The flight allowance will cover about 1.5 adult return tickets to the UK. Or you can submit 3 internal or external flights up to the flight allowance for the whole family.

Another cost that needs to be considered is health insurance, does the school cover family members. Cost of adding members to insurance policy for your family is about 1000USD/person.

15. roamingteacher

february31st - is that in China by any chance?
    Thanks for the other replies. Particularly interested in non-European experiences as EU packages are notoriously different.

16. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

There is no standard, it varies. Contracts I have had included flight out only for initial contract, flight out and home at start and end of contract, and annual flights. This was for all family members. The terms were balanced by salary- lower salary better flights... In Hong Kong I currently have no flight allowance (other than my initial flight out) but a much better salary.

17. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

I'm in Europe, and the EU, in Eastern Europe. I get a flight allowance each year which I can use however I like: loads of cheap, budget airline flights, one long haul return flight, etc. I can use it for my partner as well, as long as he's travelling with me. And if we go over the allowance, they will book for me and take the difference from my wages in an agreed way, e.g. 50euros a month for three months or all from the next salary. So you can get flights in Europe, you just have to be in specific schools!

With regards to health insurance, I add my boyfriend onto my school poilcy for 36euros a month, he'd be added for free if we were married though. 1000 seems a lot!

18. tica

tica New commenter

My first post in Latin America was a 3 year contract and only provided flights at the beginning and end of that period. My most recent Kuwaiti school ( one of the best ones) gave yearly tickets but only half dependent children's flights.

19. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

Both international schools I have worked for just offered flights for the employee not family (Oman and China) although I think my current school is now looking at this to see what they can do to improve things

20. roamingteacher

Thank you. Would you say your schools were among the better ones i.e. aiming to be 'top tier' (however you want to interpret that)?