1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annoying Video on every TES Page

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Nov 22, 2018.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Is there a way to get rid of the annoying TES video that follows me about on all these pages, or am I just being an intolerant Luddite?

chelsea2 likes this.
  2. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

There's a video?

Do you use an ad blocker such as adblock plus?

3. BertieBassett2

No, I don't - but it has only just started to appear and I find it annoying!

4. Geoff Thomas

So - give it a try. It's free and it stops virtually all advertising.

richest1 likes this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I've got it too - and it's reduced the width of the mesaages part of the page from 3/4 to 3/5, which is equally annoying.

kibosh, mothorchid and harsh-but-fair like this.
  6. BertieBassett2

Thanks - how do I do that, please?

7. Geoff Thomas

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Perfect - thanks.

colpee likes this.
  9. BertieBassett2

colpee likes this.
  10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Er, I have an Ad-blocker deployed and I keep seeing the damn video. I'm wondering if it's that that keeps crashing the page?

11. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I have the video to and often I can't move from one thread to another. I thought it was my wifi connection but it usually happens when I'm on tes so perhaps it is the clutter of ads and videos.

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I got it too the day before yesterday despite having a pretty good ad block already, so I've employed the Chrome Ad Block extension in addition, and that seems to have done the trick. Most browsers have ad blocking features of their own, so I guess just use them.
    I really don't enjoy moving images whilst reading, although I suppose there might be others who really need them to enhance understanding, along with their fidget spinners and comfort blu tac and acquired belief that a screen should be a vehicle for a million th......Hey! Look! A Squirrel!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    kibosh likes this.
  13. Geoff Thomas

ABP is telling me that it is presently blocking 5 items on this page.

14. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

Why do you people expect to have access to all the wonders of the worldwideinterwebnet for free? Ads are just the price you pay for access, like commercial television.
    "ducks"

15. enigma23

enigma23 New commenter

Geoff, how and where does it tell you what it’s blocking?! I’ve just downloaded and installed the iOS app and activated the settings, but nowhere can I tell if it’s actually ‘running’ and what it’s ‘stopping’.

Any ideas?

16. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

No you are not- it is really annoying and distracting.

At home I have 2 screens - often with TES on one and a game I play on another. The constant repetition of the add means that I'm running the second screen with Line or my email at the front rather than TES.

Quite possibly- we have an older IE at work (dinner times) and that is certainly slowed by something that has only appeared on TES this last few days

You say that, but you are right. I usually tolerate adds, largely for that reason. The people running the site need to pay for it somehow.

kibosh likes this.
  17. Geoff Thomas

I am running this on a PC; so don't know how it will look to you.

I have an icon to the right of the address bar showing the detail.

18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The one thing I get from it (no sound) is that they all look exhausted. The girl in the spotty top has granny size bags under her eyes, but is probably in her twenties. Yeah, good ad for what it does to you!

19. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I don't object to the adds on free sites but the moving ones are a distraction just on the edge of my vision. It also irritates my eyes.

kibosh likes this.
  20. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter