1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annoying TA!!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by zarashah123, Sep 9, 2008.

1. i do not have issues that need addressing,

she has an issue. And so do you by the sounds of it!! Ha ha you people make me laugh

2. cally4

cally4 New commenter

suddenly i dont feel awfully sympathetic to this poster. Hmmmm

3. I'm not sure that I feel sympathetic to either 'side'!

4. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I haven't read this thread as I find this kind of thing intensely boring to be honest, but, having just seen this last page, I assume that, being a TA, I am included in the comment about 'you people'. This is an extremely rude, ignorant and inappropriate comment to make regarding people about whom you know absolutely nothing - speaks volumes about the poster - and not in a good way!

5. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Now that I have taken the trouble to read the original post and check the poster's profile it's probably just as well that I'm not the type of person who makes sweeping generalisations or I might make some comment about someone who is supposedly teaching KS4 English but can't spell hindrance!

6. It is all just a wind up and some folks seemed to fall for it. To be honest it isn't even worth relying to OP zzzz

7. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

That's one of the reasons I had ignored this thread, mug, but the wind-ups tend to be from people (eg tonycallaghan) pretending to be TAs who imply that they are much better at teaching than most teachers and expect to get agreement from others!

There are not many postings from the OP but the others are on the English forum and seem to suggest that she/he is possibly a genuine NQT in his/her first job who is feeling a bit shaky and actually expected to get a sympathetic reply on the Teaching Assistants forum!

As regular posters will know I am the greatest critic of unprofessional TAs and a major opponent of such people being employed in a role which they are not fit to fill but the whole tone of this posting is just downright pathetic - as I said on the other thread about 'amazing TAs' there is usually a reason for teachers reacting like this and I think it is fairly obvious what this poster's reason is - and it's got nothing to do with the TA!

8. Firstly, this is not a wind up.

Secondly, this is not a reflection on me as an individual, so all those TAs out there getting hung up- please dont.

The TA i refer to also has very low expectations of my students, and this is not acceptable.

Seems as i am not the only one who has had a problem with her, so thankfully she has now gone. Just goes to show it was not me with the problem.

So all you mouthy people who had something bad to say to me, i suggest you button it.

Case Closed.

Period.

9. If it is genuinely not a wind up and I'm still not sure on that one. Your attitude needs sorting young lady

10. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

This has brought back memories from quite a long time ago - can't remember the name of the poster who started a TA-bashing thread and was terribly easy to wind up by telling him that HLTAs got paid more than NQTs!

He thought that TAs should do what he told them too![​IMG] Actually I think he may have disappeared very soon after that thread - anyone else remember?

11. Well, the OP may not have been a charm school graduate but I was quite amazed at the rudeness of some of the replies to her. If this is what some TAs regard as being supportive and helpful then no wonder some teachers are very anti TA.

The OP described some very unprofessional behaviour in 'her' TA. S/he was immediately leapt on for her choice of words and then told that the fault was his/hers. How on earth did anyone work that one out? TAs should not be undermining the class teacher in front of the class, nor should they be giving unasked for feedback on their teaching (pupils, yes, but that is an entirely different matter). If those of you who criticized the OP think that that is acceptable TA behaviour I am very concerned about abut the way TAing is developing[​IMG]

If you think you are going to change teachers' attitudes by being rude to them you are badly mistaken...

12. Thank you maizie

13. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

If this site were not so awful now it would be possible to look back and see quite a large number of postings I have made in different forums where I have supported teachers over, and been pretty outspoken about, unprofessional Teaching Assistants - it is a major concern to me that so many schools do seem to employ such people which would suggest that they have no concept of the appropriate role a TA should carry out. Many of these problems seem to be more common to secondary schools than primary for some reason, even though I know that this is a generalisation and, of course, there are many exceptions.

However, I did not pay much attention to the original post on this thread as it seemed extremely vague and didn't convince me that this was necessarily a case where I would be calling for the sacking of the TA in question - as I often have done in the past! Reading through the whole thread it seems that help was asked for but there was no clear indication of what the problem was, and it didn't come across that the OP actually wanted to sort anything out - seemed more like a moan. Maybe I misread this - online comments can easily be misconstrued.

My objection was to the comment by the OP about 'you people' which I took (possibly erroneously) to be a general insult towards TAs - the tone was unpleasant, as was the tone in the post which I quoted.

I certainly do not feel the need to change the attitude of any teacher with whom I work as they are all extremely professional and treat me as a professional too, recognising and valuing my contribution in every way. They would never dream of talking to me in a disrespectful manner but if they did I cannot be certain that I would not respond in the same way.

And, yes, I apologise, but the 'my TA' thing really drives me mad - I know some people don't understand it but I loathe it - I don't work with one class or one teacher but if I did I still wouldn't refer to them as 'mine' - it just irritates me intensely.

14. You were one of the 'moderates', Ophelia!

I looked again at the OP's first two posts and quite honestly, couldn't see anything in them to provoke such rude reactions.

On the 'my TA' matter; I have an assistant, another TA who assists me in my role. She is my assistant, not anyone else's. Why shouldn't I call her 'my' assistant? I'd say the same thing about my window cleaner, my butcher, my dentist, my friend, or whatever...doesn't mean that I think I own them.

15. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I'm not sure why I dislike it so much, maizie - thinking about it, I would refer to 'my hairdresser' to mean the hairdresser who does my hair rather than yours, as opposed to the hairdresser who works only for me. It may be a combination of the fact that I have always worked for the whole school - normally work with every class in the 2-form entry school where I am employed and have curriculum leader responsibility as well as HLTA ones, and that I was referred to in this way whilst I was training by a most unpleasant teacher who thought she was superior to everyone in the school, not just TAs! The worst thing about this ghastly woman's attitude which caused many students, both teachers and TAs, a great deal of grief during their placements, was that she had formerly been a TA herself!

16. It seems there have been many misunderstandings.

I apologise for any offence caused by my posts. It was not intentional.

I am an NQT, everything is new to me and I needed some advice.

Again, I am sorry.

Zara

17. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Thank you for that, zarashah - in the same spirit I would like to apologise if I had said anything which you have found offensive. Good luck with the job!

18. Thank you very much

19. i'm sorry to pick up on something that is not really the point but i find it ridiculous that people find the phrase my TA offensive. On many occasions i have heard pupils say "my maths teacher" when they are referring to me. Do i find that offensive? Of course not, they just mean i teach them maths as opposed to other maths teachers in the school that are not "their" maths teacher. And I call them my students to differentiate them from students i dont teach.

Yes I agree that TAs do not work for teachers - they work for the school, who employs them to assist teachers not evaluate the teacher's performance. To undermine a teacher's authority in front of pupils is unacceptable by any member of staff.

20. TAs or LSAs are not employed to assist the teachers, they are employed to assist in the teaching of children - a subtle, but very distinct difference
    hence why they are called Teaching Assistants or Learning Support Assistants and not Teachers Assistants
    and this is important - the use of language can reflect and direct an underlying attitude
    and with this in mind maybe the sentence "To undermine a colleague in front of pupils is unacceptable by any member of staff." would reflect an attitude of respect for all school roles.
    Let me assure it is more likely that a teacher would undermine a TA in front of children, than vice-versa.