1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annoying science technicians

Discussion in 'Science' started by Pilchard1408, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Pilchard1408

Pilchard1408 New commenter

can anyone relate to technicians being too bossy?!

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Too neurotically tidy, perhaps. Spend hours getting something set up just right, come back next day to use it and it's been put away.

dunnocks likes this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes yes yes!

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

how tooo bossy? bossy is fine, as most technicians I've had know fr more about the practicals than I do, but too bossy? no I haven't had too bossy, I don't think.

casting my mind back, i am counting up.

9 friendly, supportive and empathetic
    1 extremely knowledgeable, well paid and rich, lived in a small mansion, used to host department dinners.
    1 young father sleeping his way around the young female staff in the school, frequently required us to hide him in the prep room
    1 obsessed with ****, passive aggressive.
    1 OCD about cleanliness
    1 with suspicious neo fascist tendencies.

And in one school I was the technician!

In most schools the prep room has been welcoming refuge

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

While teachers are only responsible for one lesson at a time a technician may be responsible for half a dozen (or more). This means that they have to be extremely well organised and don't have time to faff around.
    I have always taken the view that if a technician makes a reasonable request, I go along with it. Then they are best placed to support me.
    Most technicians I've worked with have been really good. Only one exception who had a significant impact for several years.

blazer likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What he said.

7. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

I can sympathise - I've had one technician who was rather badly behaved and it got to the point where we had to order things even down to the number of test tubes,

Thank God my current technician is amazing!

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

just goes to show how different people's experiences are. I have never in severl decades NOT ordered down to the number of test tubes, in fact we order on line now, and so couldn't press "save" unless the number of everything had been specified

9. Pilchard1408

Pilchard1408 New commenter

Or technicians barely due anything , complain about the experiments we book and complain about clearing away equipment after we use it

Only thing they are good at are gossiping and organising nights out. Teachers love them !

10. averagedan

Every school I've worked at has had a list of required equipment, such as test-tubes, that should be in each lab without having been ordered. Saves a lot of time and I've implemented it at my new school - works a treat.

phlogiston likes this.
  11. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Standard practicals: our techs have created their own lists of equipment (and of Hazcards and our own risk assessments); they know how many pupils or working groups in each class. So teacher requests X practical, that's all the info the tech needs.

blazer likes this.
  12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

you must work in a very well resourced school. No way would we have even one tenth of the equipment required for that, nor the space in the labs to put it. I have worked in schools that have enough glassware to keep a limited amount in each lab, but I've just checked our stock. We own less than 30 test tubes in total, so not feasible to share the out between lbs, every time some one requisitioned test tubes they would have to all be collected in again, and given to the requisitioner.

13. averagedan

It's not well-resourced in the slightest - we're missing basic stuff like Thiele tubes, etc. for m.p. determinations. It sounds like your school has cut its science budget below what's feasible/sustainable if you're having problems with test tubes :(

dunnocks likes this.
  14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes we have very little

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Likewise. My req would say something like 'Thermal decomposition Marble chips 15 groups'.

16. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I find that wandering around the prep room and borrowing equipment that you haven't ordered tends to annoy the technicians... oh, you weren't looking for tips on how to annoy them.
    Speaking of annoying others;
    I think you mean few, not little. Unless you're mistaking the test tubes for ignition tubes!

17. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

Well some technicians are better than others. I have met amazing ones and some that could barely string a sentence together. Fortunately the graph is weighted towards the positive end. Thing is, you absolutely have to get on with them. The head is a random annoyance you maybe see at briefing a couple of times a week. The technician, on the other hand, is the person you absolutely need on your side. A science teacher without a good relationship with the techy is doomed. Same goes for site staff and secretaries. And TAs. Basically, be as nice as possible to the people that make the school actually run.

18. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Shame that SLTs don't follow that. Or that they're so self-deluded that they believe that they only have to be nice to each other.

19. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

Our technicians are great, really helpful but I wouldnt dare take anytthing from their store room without asking. Yes, more important to get along with them than the SLT.
    But I guess its down to the person...The institution has a D+T technician who is the grumpiest man in the world and occasionally has to help out with science., hates the young people. Wouldnt last 5 mins in 'customer service'....but I guess that why he's working at our place

20. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

I have worked with some amazing technicians in the past . Sad to say in current department they are useless. They have no interest in science at all and no qualifications.. They are all former mid day assistants and have actively resisted being sent on any training courses. I have no idea why HoD puts up with the situation but he does