1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annoying, ongoing cough. Help, I'm going insane!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Eva_Smith, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Hi all,
    I've had this annoying, hacking cough for about 2 weeks now. It's a tickly cough that irritates my throat, but is at the same time slightly chesty and productive (clear, nothing that suggests infection). Medicines that I've tried haven't had much effect. I've tried Meltus Chesty Cough and Covonia Dry/Tickly cough (not together, but not sure which medicine to use since it appears both tickly and chesty).
    Can anyone offer any advice?

2. fab208

fab208 New commenter

Hi Eva,
    I had a similar cough during December and it did go away after three to four weeks - drink plenty, take cough medicine if it helps (i tried the same as you but found Benylin tickly cough the best), sleep propped up if you can and have a steamy (hot from the water that is!!) shower before bed and in the morning to help clear your sinuses etc.
    Also, honey and lemon works well - boiling water with lemon juice and enough honey to take away too much of the sharpness.
    It should clear up soon - hang on in there! If not, go to see your dr to check there's nothing else going on.
    Good luck!

3. Eva_Smith

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll certainly give them a try!

4. Have you seen your GP? I had a cough like that and it turned out to be mild asthma. Started using inhalers and it went pretty quickly.

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

For the irritation, try slowly sucking a square of dark chocolate. The theobromine content is (apparently) an effective cough suppresant.
    I also find sucking a Fisherman's Friend helps a lot. The aniseed ones aren't too bad.

6. Eva_Smith

Ick! Aniseed! Yuk!

But the chocolate sounds like it would be VERY medicinal! [​IMG]

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

They also do cherry... [​IMG]
    But I think I've sold you on the chocolate idea. [​IMG]

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

9. My normally healthy hubby has had a cough following a bout of flu like symptoms. It is still quite dry but has doubled him up. After going through a bottle of pholcodiene linctus we went to the Drs & got some anti-biotics. Thank fully, the hacking isn't quite so bad but roll on the end!!
    Hope you feel better soon!

10. Sorry to say - I had "that cough" for 6 weeks in Nov / Dec ...it just went but very tiring.
    x

11. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

OP - if your cough is so persistent, and is unrelated to a cold/flu (you don't say), then you should have it checked out by your GP.