1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annoying Cough, can't get rid...help?!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eva_Smith, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

2. fab208

fab208 New commenter

I've just inadvertently posted a reply on H and W.
    Hope it clears up soon.

3. Hi Eva,
    I have had exactly the same symtoms for 2 months now and it's awful. It makes teaching really hard work! I finally took myself to the doctors about it last week and was told........it's a virus. Marvellous.
    Advice from the doc? Drink plenty of water and suck sugar free throat sweets. Neither have made a difference for me but thery might be worth a try.
    Sorry that I can't offer more advice but wanted to let you now that you aren't alone. Hope that you start to feel better soon.
    C x

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've had a similar complaint now for a month. Nothing seems to shift it but a good dose of buttercup syrup at bedtime helps.

5. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Don't ignore a persistent cough - see your GP

6. A cough that's only lasted a fortnight? See a doctor? Are you joking? They'll say "Use folk remedy/steam/OTC placebo and only come back if you cough up blood, have a temp of 104 or have a heart attack."
    You don't necessarily still have an infection. Post-nasal drip causes runny snot to irritate the back of your throat without your being aware of it, and previously irritated membranes carry on being super-sensitive and cough for nothing. I got a cough first week back in September and still had it a month later. I went to the GP, she said there was no evidence of infection, with an air that said "Only come back if it goes green or you collapse in the street."
    I take 30mg codeine at night to suppress it so I can sleep and otherwise just wait for it to BUGGER OFF.

7. It's a bit unlikely, but having such a cough is a good reminder to check your immunisations are up to date.
    Apparently those "100 day cough" episodes in adults often turn out to have been a bout of mild whooping cough. If you have friends, relatives or children with babies or currently pregnant, getting a booster shot's a good idea. (Even though what you've currently got probably isn't pertussis.)

8. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Thank you everyone.

Lily - I agree, a 2 week cough is probably not a reason to go to the doctor or get overly worried. I was more just hopign that someone had a handy home-remedy tip for me to help it on its way because I'm a wreck not sleeping, can't get two sentences out with coughing, and I keep nearly choking on food because I can't get through a bite without coughing my head off!
    Waaaaahhhh!

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Wintertime at the synagogue... Inside, Rabbi Bloom was getting distracted and upset by the constant coughing disturbing his sermon. After the service ended, he instructed his assistant Hymie to purchase a large quantity of cough drops ready for his next sermon and asks him to give one cough drop to anyone who starts coughing. "Quietly tell them I'm giving it for their for their cough."

So when next sermon came along, every time a member coughed, Hymie walked over and handed out a cough drop. Rabbi Bloom watched this out of the corner of his eye and noticed that every time this occured, the member immediately got up and walked out. At the end of the service, half the members were gone, so Rabbi Bloom asked, "Nu, Hymie? So what did you say to the members that made them leave the synagogue?"

Hymie replied, "So vat did I say? All I said Voz, 'The Rabbi said for cough’."

10. I drink hot water and lemon, keep it on my desk (when cooled) and sip all day. That seems to do the trick for me better than any medicine.

11. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I once shifted a persistent cough by going to a spa (steam room, sauna, pool, hot tub, plunge pool etc). Went in hacking away, came out like a new person. Was miraculous!
    A remedy I was told of in Spain but have never tried is to sleep with an onion cut in half in your bedroom. Not convinced it'd be effective, but...

12. On a slight tangent, since August I have woken up every morning with a cough, a fit of sneezing and filled three hankies with snot. By the time it got to December I had decided that not even I could have a cold that long so went to the GP and he said it sounded more like an allergy and gave me Cetirizine. I put off starting it because I got what was definitely an actual cold, followed by another, and they had "Avoid alcohol" on them. I started them two days ago and the coughing sneezing and snot has completely stopped.
    All I need to find out now is what I'm allergic to.