1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annoying, condescending aphorisms used by school managers.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jolly_Roger15, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I just wondered if anyone had some choice examples, like the perennial 'work smarter, not harder'.

Someone at my last school came up with 'there is no such thing as an unforeseen circumstance, just poor contingency planning'.

catbefriender and agathamorse like this.
  2. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Did you punch them in the face then say, "Poor contingency planning there, you should have ducked."

3. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Blue sky thinking, Helicopter view

4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

We are here to help, the customer always comes first ( unless you have more important things to do that help make more money).

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I wish i had had the bottle to do that, as this man had one of those plump, smug faces you just wanted to punch.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My favourite post of the week!

7. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

You just need to be creative to find a solution.

catbefriender likes this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Thinking outside the box. Doing more with less.

afterdark likes this.
  9. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

If I think outside the box, I might end up throwing students out of the window... that way I'd be able to do more with less. (Sorry, fewer!)

Morgelyn likes this.
  10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Getting more juice out of the orange.

Signposted parents.

11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

About seven years ago I was involved in a general, friendly discussion about a change of GCSE text, when a DH said to me "Well, my dear..." He wasn't able to finish his sentence, because I interrupted and said "I am NOT your dear. Don't patronise me like that!" He never really liked me after that, but I never heard him call anyone else his "dear".
    Not quite what the OP asks about, but condescending none the less. (or fewer...@Cheesemongler, ;))

CheeseMongler and ATfan like this.
  12. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

upload_2019-7-16_20-8-12.png

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The priest of management speak shall say: "There's no 'I' in "Team""

To which the congregation will reply: "But there's a 'U' in "F*** Off""

ATfan, silkywave and afterdark like this.
  14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

HT once brought Year B's report completion deadline forwards at short notice, overlapping the deadline for year A's reports. I queried this in a staff meeting, saying I was already very busy with Year A's, and was told in full condescension mode:

"A blunter person than me would say you should be more organised"

I wanted to respond "And a less polite person than me would say..." but I thought better of it.

ATfan and mothorchid like this.
  15. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

"tighter"

on lesson observation.

Despite meeting all the criteria for a good lesson being told that they want me to make it "tighter" . I.E. give the children less time for each part of the lesson so more could be squeeze in, despite the fact the children would learn the ideas significantly less well, just so some waszock can make himself look good by saying "I am squeezing more out of people (who were already doing a good job in the first place)".

The person saying 'tighter' made twisting motions with his right hand when said tighter, he did not seem to be unaware that he was doing this unconscious tell.

For anyone else faced with such human t.urd

https://www.edutopia.org/article/extending-silence

16. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

“Work smarter” was the most irksome retort when given another “tranche” of work.

ATfan likes this.
  17. mathsman

mathsman Occasional commenter

But there is a 'me'

magic surf bus, ATfan and mothorchid like this.