1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annoying Ads on TES

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mothorchid, May 19, 2019.

1. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Good morning all,
    Some time ago I was able to download a free ad blocker which removed the irritating people who want to be teachers on TES, and which made things much more pleasandt all round. But today, Firefox has had some sort of refresh thing and the adblocker has gone. And now the half-wits and the ads are back. I have searched to see if I can find out what the ad blocker was, but I can't track it down.
    Could some lovely, helpful TESSER remind me what it was?
    Thanks in advance.

2. towncryer

towncryer Established commenter

Oh no...how awful. They are annoying. I haven't got them on my computer at home but can't block from the one at work...so I usually stick a post - it over that area.

3. mothorchid

They are not only annoying, but they slow the whole computer down. And I hate the fact that they are the result of data harvesting. I want my browsing to be my own business, no-one else's.

HelenREMfan and towncryer like this.
  4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It can't be very good harvesting. I keep being offered jobs as a music teacher in various state schools despite the fact that I am just coming up to 80 years of age and have it registered in my profile that I am retired and have only ever worked in the independent sector.

mothorchid likes this.
  5. mothorchid

Stand down, TESSERS. I have done further searches and found adblock plus. Free, quick and easy even for a dimwit like myself to download.
    The irritation is soothed.:)
    Thanks.

towncryer and colpee like this.
  6. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Just for the record, I use Firefox, and uBlock Origin and Ghostery. I'm running the latest version (66.0.5), and there was no update today (as far as I know anyway). I didn't notice a problem today.

7. mothorchid

Thanks @EmanuelShadrack, I think the issue may have been my own fault. It seems to be fine now, though there are some slight differences in the way it displays tabs etc along the top. But I am a grown up. I can handle it.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've needed to manually refresh Firefox a couple of times, so have encountered losing the adblocker. The refresh routine removes all the add ons. Interestingly, whenever I went into the add ons manager, it would suggest ad blockers, but never the same ones, so I've tried a few. They all seemed to be just as effective as each other.

mothorchid likes this.
  9. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

This is exactly what I use. Websites don't like it, but I love it!

mothorchid likes this.