1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annoyed by a recruitment ad

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by SEBREGIS, Feb 25, 2020.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I've just read a job advert for a school I know very well to be an absolute hellhole. I couldn't see a single word of description which reflected the chaotic, ill disciplined and dangerous environment staff face there every day. It makes me so angry.

I really wish there was some kind of network where you could actually ask other teachers for an unbiased take on their workplace, free from worries that management will persecute them for giving an honest opinion.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Wouldn't it be good if the honest opinions (of the job/school) of any teachers leaving a school was a required part of job adverts for their replacements. It would go a long way to making employers/SLT treat their staff well and would be much fairer to those applying for jobs.

3. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

I was browsing jobs this week and saw one that interested me. The school website made it look lovely, until I found a section in news/notices home which was a copy of a letter sent to all parents&students about the appalling beaviour of their students after school and the threat of police being called.

4. MrLW1

MrLW1 New commenter

They should introduce a school version of Tripadvisor for former staff

5. Penguin47

Penguin47 New commenter

Let's face it, such a system would be abused with nitpicking and trivial matters. Though I guess in those instances it would be up to the reader to utilise some common sense.

6. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Realistically, I don't see a solution. But when you know how bad a school is, its infuriating to see them describe behaviour as 'untroubled' and their attitude to staff as 'supportive'. When you know that they provide no training for staff (and precious little by way of resources) seeing them boast about outstanding CPD opportunities just galls. You couldn't advertise a fridge the way some schools promote themselves.

MrLW1, agathamorse and Penguin47 like this.
  7. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

Yes the "Emperor's New Clothes" comes to mind. All walk around the school all day thinking how wonderful it is. But it's not.