1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

annoyed about tax rebate (or lack of!)

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by bigpig, May 12, 2011.

  1. bigpig

    bigpig New commenter

    You might be able to claim it back. If you search the HMRC website there's a page about claiming back when you've paid too much tax through your job. It says on there about reclaiming this year (and how to do it for previous years). I looked at it when I was being taxed BR on one of my agencies. I never did it though, they now have a split tax code and I claimed mine back on a Self Assessment Tax return for another job I have.

  2. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    I replied to this earlier and it's gone missing incyberspace.
    You won't get the £200 tax back, as you already know, as it was deducted from pay received in this tax year(2011/12) even though you earned it for work done in March 2011 which was part of the 2010/11 tax year.
    You may get it back at this time next year if you don't earn your tax-free allowance with the employer that operates your tax code.
    I work for the LA on supply and my March work was paid for at the end of April, as is standard for LA temporary teachers, so I'm in the same position.
    Have you claimed tax relief on your Union subs, your GTC fee and any CRB payments you've had to make in order to get work with your agencies?
    Write to the Inland revenue and claim for the professional expenses that you had to make.
    With Union subs you need to know what proportion is eligible for tax relief. With the NUT, you quote two thirds of what you paid to the Union. With the ATL, you quote nine tenths of your subs. You'll need to ask other Unions what fraction is eligible.
    You can download a tax relief form from the GTC website, fill it in with your details and the £36-50 you paid to the GTC, SIGN AND SEND TO THE Inland revenue.
    You can back claim for the past 6 years if you haven't claimed before.
    Download a separate GTC form for each tax year applicable.
    You will then get back 20% of the total fees quoted if you are a basic rate taxpayer.
    You can let the Inland revenue know what fees you will be paying for the 2011/12 tax year and they will increase your tax code, reducing the tax that you pay in the first place.
    If you then acquire extra professional fees in the year, up-date them or wait until you claim a tax rebate after the end of the tax year.

  3. ........or, you could jack in killing yourself with supply teaching, set up a business and then decide how much you are going to pay HMRC, not the other way around. Seriously, stop consenting to being raped.
  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous New commenter

    Not a very good anology.
  5. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Do you mean a business offering yourself ditrect to schools as a teacher? If so, how do you get Enhanced CRB clearance?

Share This Page