1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annotations for Moderation

Discussion in 'English' started by english.teacher, May 10, 2012.

1. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

So, I am going over the work that we need to send to the moderator and I am sick to my stomach because our highest (supposedly) Shakespeare and the Literary Heritage piece that has been requested for some reason, I marked as 36!!! I meant to go back and check before we put our grades in but for a number of reasons, we were soo rushed and I was/am exhausted....
    I am confident with the other peices but am so embarrased.. it's clearly not even sophisticated... I would mark now at Band 4 32. I don't know what to do. I feel like the biggest ***. I have no excuse except for pure and utter exhaustion. They've asked for all our English Unit 3 folders (bottom set) and about 20 other folders and due to the small nature of our department, I am annotating a lot of folders. I've been not sleeping for weeks and I don't think I can handle much more but we've got to get these things annotated for Monday morning...
    Would the moderator expect me to be honest or should I try to 'fudge it'?
    Any advice is much appreciated. This is making me sick - this whole process. We're a new centre and I am new to this whole thing and I feel I've disadvantaged the whole year group.
    I know I sound whining, but I honestly feel on teh edge of breaking point...

2. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

So, I am going over the work that we need to send to the moderator and I am sick to my stomach because our highest (supposedly) Shakespeare and the Literary Heritage piece that has been requested for some reason, I marked as 36!!! I meant to go back and check before we put our grades in but for a number of reasons, we were soo rushed and I was/am exhausted....
    I am confident with the other peices but am so embarrased.. it's clearly not even sophisticated... I would mark now at Band 4 32. I don't know what to do. I feel like the biggest ***. I have no excuse except for pure and utter exhaustion. They've asked for all our English Unit 3 folders (bottom set) and about 20 other folders and due to the small nature of our department, I am annotating a lot of folders. I've been not sleeping for weeks and I don't think I can handle much more but we've got to get these things annotated for Monday morning...
    Would the moderator expect me to be honest or should I try to 'fudge it'?
    Any advice is much appreciated. This is making me sick - this whole process. We're a new centre and I am new to this whole thing and I feel I've disadvantaged the whole year group.
    I know I sound whining, but I honestly feel on teh edge of breaking point...

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Don't try to fudge it. On the form, you might have contact details for the moderator (we have a phone number for the A level ones) - call and fess up and ask whether they want you to send another folder instead. If you don't have that, send it, but put in a covering note, and make sure that you contact AQA and tell them the correct mark.
    You're human. **** happens. They will understand.
    You haven't but you might if you try to fudge it. Be honest and all will be well. They're looking to check how accurate you are. If you fudge it, they will spot it and then you might have a problem.

4. manc

manc New commenter

You're human. **** happens. They will understand

[​IMG]

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

They will. I have been there.