1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Annotated Drawings of a website

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Training_2_Teach, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

When it says' annotated drawings' in a course specification for a website unit, does it mean
    the website design has to be hand-drawn or could students use ICT e.g. microsoft publisher?

2. I prefer to get students to hand-draw. It would help to know the board and specification to be sure but I can see how 'annotated designs' would a more appropriate phrase.

3. Training_2_Teach

Hi,

The exam board: Edexcel
    Spec: Level 3 Nationals It, Unit 28
    Criteria: P4: <font size="3" face="Humanist521BT-Light">using <u>appropriate design tools</u>, design an interactive website to meet a client need</font>
    <font size="3" face="Humanist521BT-Light"> </font><font size="3" face="Humanist521BT-Light"><font size="3" face="Humanist521BT-Light">For P4, learners need to carry out the planning work for a multi-page, two-way interactive website. The plan should take the form of annotated drawings as it would in a normal web design process.</font></font>

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I always get them to hand draw for two reasons
    1. it's faster than faffing about with autshapes and text boxes in WP/DTP
    2. if they do it on pc it's amazing how many of them come up with design work that clearly has been created after the build has been done and try and palm it off as design work and end up with zero. Mind you if I was on top of my marking 100% of the time this would not be an issue.

5. Training_2_Teach

Reply from an expert from Edexcel:

It would make sense, since this is an IT qualification, to use ICT for this purpose.
    As you correctly spotted, the prescriptive part (The criterion and associated unit content) does specify appropriate design tools which suggests to me ICT.
    The guidance, which is not prescriptive, suggests annotated drawings, but since the prescriptive part specifies design tools one would expect the design to be done using ICT and annotations added, as appropriate, by hand or by WP, etc.

6. Training_2_Teach

Isn't the mooboard the same as the storyboard? what's the difference?

7. Jessy1234

Jessy1234 New commenter

There was a tool that helped me to create a storyboard using wire frames. I wish I could rember the name of it.
    You could get the students to draw it in Fireworks, it is quite good for experimenting with colours, fonts,
    somtimes you can use PowerPoint to do rough sketches and write down in the explanation in the notes section. This can be long and repetitive.

My best option would be to draw it by hand and then use word. In word you can add shapes, and textboxes. To make it proffesional I would turn the textboxes border to none.

Word is a better option than PowerPoint

8. I think it means you write on what you've done. The normal web design process is based about prototypes, and doesn't use annotated drawings :)