1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ann Widdecombe invokes the glorious Thatcher spirit for BREXIT ....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by frodo_magic, Oct 20, 2020.

1. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Established commenter

https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...trade-talks-David-Frost-Boris-Johnson-no-deal

God bless her little cotton socks!

"Margaret Thatcher would never have put up with the treatment meted out to the UK by the EU over the last year – and would have pulled the plug on the Brexit withdrawal agreement long ago, former Tory minister Ann Widdecombe has said.

Miss Widdecombe, who served as a Brexit Party MEP alongside Nigel Farage after being elected to the European Parliament last year, fears current PM Boris Johnson's refusal to walk away from negotiations once and for all will see the UK saddled with what she calls a "lousy deal".

However, she said it would not have been the case had Mrs Thatcher, who led the UK from 1979 to 1990, still been in charge.

Miss Widdecombe, who served as minister of state for Employment and also minister of state for Prisons under Mrs Thatcher's successor, John Major, said: "I think that when the first deadline expired for a proper deal she would have said that's it."

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

You are now praising a homophobe...:eek:

SeanbheanMac and catmother like this.
  4. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Established commenter

Isn't she gay herself but represses it for religious reasons?

She presented a programme about an archbishop who did something similar and tried to explain away why he was buried with a male friend.

5. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Thatcher was pushed out because she refused to join the ERM and believed that any future transfer of powers to the EC should be put to the electorate.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Conservative_Party_leadership_election
    Joining the ERM of course led to Black Wednesday and increased Euroscepticism.
    Seems she was right all along.

6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

She has good legs. I'll give her that. But I find her views vile, so can't find it in myself to consider her a Strictly-born national treasure.

SeanbheanMac and catmother like this.
  7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I thought that Margaret Thatcher would never have taken us into a situation where we'd be out of the Single Market.

catmother likes this.
  8. SeanbheanMac

SeanbheanMac Occasional commenter

I have wondered if that could be the case - suffering from a terrible case of internalised homophobia. To be fair, she's also suffering from rather a lot of externalised homophobia too. I'd feel sorry for her but I find her quite dreadful...

9. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Don't forget the internalised misogyny too. This is the woman who ordered prisoners who were pregnant to be shackled while in hospital and in labour.

SeanbheanMac likes this.
  10. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Established commenter

I do feel sorry for her, if I remember rightly she's never had a single relationship in her whole life.

11. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Established commenter

A fantastic BREXITEER though. She certainly has the ability to stick her heel onto floored, dribbling, doom-is-coming Remainers and grind it in, for maximum intellectual suffering.

12. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Lead commenter

This vicious phraseology sheds rather a disturbing light on your state of mind - a layer of sadism underneath the barminess?

Thisistheone and SeanbheanMac like this.