1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Animated short films literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by patch00, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Can anybody recommend any free animated short videos they have used with upper KS2 to inspire story writing. The children have done The Piano, but I am looking for something of the same kind of quality

Thanks

2. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

You can get most of the BFI short films free on teacher tube.
    I remember one being really good. A girl and a boy not quite meeting as their cars drive along a traffic jammed road slowly together. The way they communicate is lovely. I think it was called 'The Stranger'. Another called 'Dangle' was also good.

3. There's one called "Red's Dream" on the Pixar Shorts DVD which is great for atmosphere (rainy city street at night) and flashbacks (abandoned unicycle dreaming about being a circus act).
    C x

4. There are lots of independent free animations on aniboom.com

5. May I ask why specifically animated shorts?
    You can find squillions of them online. I recently went to the British Animation Awards public choice screening and saw some outstanding pieces.
    Here's a few I've posted on my short film tumblr, none of which have any dialogue:
    The Passenger - (Digital animation scary film)
    Matter Fisher - (Very stylistic traditional animation)
    Destino - (Dali-penned traditional, suitable for older chn... can't remember if you specified, sorry)
    La Dama y La Muerte - (Oscar-nominated short 2010, digital)
    Alma - (Creepy digital short from a Pixar artist)
    Le Royeaume - (traditional short, very good)

Animated shorts with good dialogue seem to be far harder to come across; I don't actually have any on my blog!

6. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

<a>http://www.pocketmovies.net/download/hoverbike[/URL]

I used this one as a starting point for story writing, adverts, arguments and persuasion with year 6.