1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Animals in school!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Lukeq, Feb 9, 2012.

1. We recently had a company bring animals into our school. I was'nt sure how it was going to go, but most children seemed to enjoy it in the end (though some staff where scared. lol). The guys we had in was from Quirks' Animal Roadshows ( www.quiksanimalroadshows.co.uk ) and was very good with the children, letting them touch things when they wanted and not minding when the odd one or two didnt want to know at all.

2. dash201

dash201 New commenter

I have brought in my tarantula a number of times but I don't let them handle her, (although I did at one school!) All I needed to do was seek approval and do a quick risk assessment ('borrowed' from a website and adapted).

The school I am in doesn't allow pets at home due to religious beliefs (although they do have some pets but class them working animals to get round this). But we bring in our dogs from time to time but not my parrot...it tends to drop the f-bomb quite frequently!

3. we have dogs in school all the time...works brilliantly.

4. Hi
    we also do animal workshops/ roadshows and cover Derbyshire, Cheshire and Staffordshire. Our animals are very friendly and used to being handled. Please see our testimonials here: http://www.animalmagic-parties.co.uk/customer_feedback_animal_magic.html We are also on netmums if you would like to read the review there.
    Our name is Animal Magic Parties and we are from Buxton, Derbyshire.

5. We have a therapy dog that comes into the school once a week-the students love it and are constantly asking when she is next in!