1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Animals/creatures of the savannah...art ideas for year 6, please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blackpurse, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Next week, the whole school are taking part in a creative week which will end in an animal earth summit. We are all asked to contribute a piece of art work. I'm struggling to think of ideas. These pictures are going to be framed and sold to parents. [​IMG]

2. Next week, the whole school are taking part in a creative week which will end in an animal earth summit. We are all asked to contribute a piece of art work. I'm struggling to think of ideas. These pictures are going to be framed and sold to parents. [​IMG]

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have a beautiful framed picture of the African Savannah on my wall completed by my less than artistic son when in yr 6 ( to put this into perspective, he seemed to spend the whole of yr 7 drawing a black shoe which ended up looking like a piece of coal!) It is a watercolour of the savannah at sunset, with shades of yellow, orange and red, blending down into grey backdrop mountains with a pinky purple foreground. Added on in what appears to be charcoal are stylised savannah animals and a boabob tree. Very effective

4. Thank you for replying. I love this idea. I've done some reearch and think this idea would make lovely framed art.
    Advice on how to achieve this effect would be appreciated, thanks.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My year 6 children did something similar on Friday.

They used pastels or watered down ready made paint to create the sunsets. (They chose which they wanted to do and sorted out watering down the paint and blending pastels or not themselves.) Then they drew and cut out animals and/or trees from black sugar paper to glue on top. They also did a strip of black to show land at the bottom. The less artistic had printed silhouettes from the computer to cut out.

Almost all had something any parent would be proud of and would pay money for if framed. (Weren't many to make millions!)

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Off the top of my head im thinking watercolours layered to create the background and silhouettes cut from black sugar paper and stuck on. Might be a bit easy for year 6 though.

8. Thank you for all the input on this. I love this idea. I am a bit concerned that it may be too easy for year 6 but I think they will take there time and the finished products will look great.

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I can scan my son's picture and send it on as an example if you are desperate. His yr 6 teacher at the time was a proper artist and managed to get brilliant work out of even the most cack-handed of pupils ( my son has dyspraxia and also wouldn't know a watercolour from a paint pot[​IMG])

10. inq

inq

Maybe not quite the savanna but an idea we did with Y6 that could perhaps be adapted:-
    We painted an animal skin background e.g. zebra, giraffe, tiger having first looked quite closely at what their patterns were actually like i.e. no black and white, vertical parallel stripes for the zebra. Then we drew (drew round a template for LA) of that animal and painted it carefully. We then cut out the animal and mounted it against its background using double sided pads so it was slightly 3d. The overall effect, even for those who are not brilliant at art, was really good.

11. Thanks for the offer but that would be too much to ask. I have a fairly good idea what you mean so i'll go with that. Some of the Silhouettes I have found to use are quiet detailed, have you ever used stanley knifes with year 6?