1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

animal poems and similes Year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by brunetta, May 23, 2010.

1. brunetta

brunetta New commenter

Hi
    Trying to plan some lessons on the use of similes, leading to the children writing their own poem using similes to describe their own animal. I can't seem to find any animal poems that use similes to describe an animal - just a short one called 'How a Good Greyhound is Shaped'. Does anyone know of any poems describing animals using similes?
    Grateful for any help.
    Thanks

2. brunetta

brunetta New commenter

Hi
    Trying to plan some lessons on the use of similes, leading to the children writing their own poem using similes to describe their own animal. I can't seem to find any animal poems that use similes to describe an animal - just a short one called 'How a Good Greyhound is Shaped'. Does anyone know of any poems describing animals using similes?
    Grateful for any help.
    Thanks

3. I can't find it but we used one about an elephant. It may be from the Yr 4 scholastic CD or the 100 literacy lesson book. Even if you can't find it you could easily make your own. It describes a mystery animal with similies taking one part of the body at a time e.g. a Its legs are thick like tree stumps. On the last line it tells you its an elephant. I got the children to listen to the poem an draw what they thought it was describing one line at a time. There was some very funny results! What amused them even more was the pictures after teachers had drawn when they listened to the poem. It's very simple in structure and the children then used the same structure to write about an animal of their choice.Sorry I can't be any more help. Good Luck

4. Hi Brunetta,
    There is a unit of work on Hamilton Trust covering this. You could use/adapt some of the resources from there. If you don't have access to this I could e-mail it to you. You may find it helpful.
    scarlet8715

5. brunetta

brunetta New commenter

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of the elephant one and the children drawing what they think is being described - will probably try to make one up of my own but I'm quite brain-dead at the moment (I'm PGCE student trying to get through final placement).
    Scarlet8715 - thanks. Just become a friend of Hamilton Trust so I'll have a look. Seems that lots of people recommend the site.

6. pooped

pooped New commenter

I use Kit Wright's Charlotte's Dog. Children love it

7. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I have some resources that may be useful for you. If you email me I will send them to you.

Carrie
    carriecat10@aol.com

8. MonsterTeachingIdeas

MonsterTeachingIdeas New commenter

Are these resources still available? I would like to use these too.