1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Animal Communication HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by iloverolos, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Need to organise a workshop for a mixed Yr 5/6 group with very different abilities as part of Science week (topic communication). My workshop is Friday and foolishly I've left preparation till very last minute :s

I have some ideas but DESPERATELY need help drawing them together. thought I could look at all different ways animals communicate (odour/ body language/ sound) and have found some great pics to look at. However I have no idea what the children could do as an independent/ group task...

I would be SO SO grateful for any ideas whatsoever.... Please and thank you in advance!!!

2. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Could you give them different scents such as vanilla, mint, cinammon etc and ask them to create their own ordour to a specific requirement eg- to attract insect ie make it a sweet smell, to repell other animals- mixture of whatever until it smells bad??
    Or some tubes of various widths and sizes and bowls of water of different sizes - can they make different noises using pitch as their communication the way dolphins and whales do- you could show them the great clip from finding nemo to start things off!
    Or mixing colours to communicate fear, camouflage , danger etc
    Or askingthe kids to communicate using just gestures - like some birds do to attract attention in spring!
    I like your idea for communication with animals- hope everything goes well [​IMG]

3. Oooh Jen I like the smells idea! Might investigate and see how cheaply I can resource it!

Tubes idea is being done by another teacher... good idea tho.

Thank you!

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Could you do something about the way animals communicate through water? Look at how sounds travels through different materials? Not sure how you'd actually get them to test sound travelling through water - apart from sticking the kids under water - or filling balloons with water??!