1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

angry parents

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by pine_forest, May 30, 2011.

1. hello,
    I wondered if anyone could help me? I am in a mixed R/1 class, and next year 4-6 of my current year Rs will be staying with me. I made the decision based on the children's readiness or otherwise for the more formal 1/2 class, and their academic abillity. The R intake are all quite able, with no SEN, which means that the children staying with me are only just below average.
    The parents of one of these children came in the other day and were really angry. They accused me of not telling them that their child was 'behind', saying that had they known they would have done everything they could to 'catch her up'. It is true that I had not told them she was behind at parents evening - because she was not. She is not as academically able as most of the children, but as I said the whole class is quite able, and I am not worried about her. Added to this, she is very young - born 3 days later and she would have been in the next cohort.
    I explained that their child is just not ready for a formal curriculum yet, and that in my class she would be accessing play-based learning but at a year 1 level. They, however, think she will spend the entirety of next year 'mucking about' and 'just playing', and get far behind.
    Does anyone have any advice on how I can reassure these parents if they come to see me again? I can't stop thinking about it. They have made me really nervous about next year as they will be ready to criticise everything I do with their child.
    thank you.