1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Angola/Africa (Sub-Sahara)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by spanboy, Jan 9, 2018.

1. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Hi - it seems salaries can be surprisingly quite high in Angola and some other African countries, but what are the other considerations to take into account - e.g. how is medical cover, safety, cost of living etc, with a particular view to Angola? Are there reasons why the salaries are generally high there? Just thinking ahead if it would be a good way to save a lot, quickly? TIA.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

It was one of the worlds most expensive cities to live in, but this was because of the rent values.....which you wont pay. Its oil rich, and while somethings are expensive, my monthly outgoings for a single male are about $200-$300. You will comfortably save a LOT, because the school pretty much provides everything.

Safety is relative. I fell perfectly fine there. You get free worldwide medical cover, and the local stuff is fine for basics, trust me i have seen worse. Anything emergancy wise you are sent to South Africa.

spanboy likes this.
  3. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

'this was because of the rent values.....which you wont pay.'

Why is that dumbells? School accommodation?

4. dumbbells66

accommodation, water, electricity, cable tv from south africa, and internet all free. they also provide free 24 hour transportation

5. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

dumbbells66 likes this.
  6. SPC2

Attracted by all that myself! Know a couple of people in my current location in oil and gas who've worked there and heard some interesting stories.

7. dumbbells66

oh its interesting....its not a place for everyone, and i wouldnt recommend it to someone new to international life. the school is awesome, but the country can be difficult sometimes. there is absolutely nothing you cant get here, but sometimes things dont work as they should, but this is Africa after all

8. SPC2

Unfortunately he stopped updating it a couple of years ago, but I used to greatly enjoy a blog by a guy trying to set up 'Fat Hippo's', a holiday resort there aimed at people in the oil industry http://hippo-on-the-lawn.blogspot.sg/ His Angolan travails made interesting reading and he can't half write.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  9. makhnovite

All 10 Supersports Channels?

10. dumbbells66

I think we have 8.... i only watch the rugby one. I cant stand football

11. dumbbells66

The school also feeds me twice a day. I forgot to add that earlier.

12. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

@dumbells66 - sent you a pm/conversation

13. makhnovite

'The school also feeds me twice a day'.

Yeah, but when do they let you out for exercise, and is parole an option for long term offenders like yourself!:p

lottee1000, dumbbells66 and SPC2 like this.