1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Android tablets for teaching programming?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by jimdriver2, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Just after any recommendations for decent sub-£100 Android tablets to use for teaching programming. We've found a really nice Android RAD (Basic4android in case anyone is interested) so we're planning on buying a couple of tablets for use with it. Obviously I'm not expecting the tablets to be Galaxy tab/ipad level by any means, but there are so many budget ones out there I thought i'd check if anyone else had used any. Cheers.

2. Just after any recommendations for decent sub-£100 Android tablets to use for teaching programming. We've found a really nice Android RAD (Basic4android in case anyone is interested) so we're planning on buying a couple of tablets for use with it. Obviously I'm not expecting the tablets to be Galaxy tab/ipad level by any means, but there are so many budget ones out there I thought i'd check if anyone else had used any. Cheers.

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

If you're going to attempt writing programs ( as opposed to testing them) can I suggest that you'll also need a keyboard of some sort. As writing anything more than a few lines on a tablet screen is a total pain
    You might be better running up vitual pcs and having android,on them, which pretty straight-forward in Windows 7

4. The programs will be developed on the PC. The app very smoothly integrates with the Android SDK to allow you to run and debug apps on a virtual android device.

The tablets are so the pupils can try their programs on an actual "real" Android device.

5. dogpile

dogpile New commenter

I'd avoid going for cheap tablets. There are lots of reviews of them on Amazon and they make cautionary reading. You pay for what you get. If they aren't running Ice Cream Sandwich uou are going to get a very substandard experience. Until Google sorts out a proper tablet reference model, like them or not, iPad provide a far better experience. Whether that has educational value other than a gimmick time will tell.

6. Have a check at http://www.pandawill.com/notebook-tablet-pc-mid-c438/android-os-c306.html?dir=asc&order=price&tablet_pc=40 for ideas then read some reviews on which one suits you best. The android tablets are great, and despite other's reservations they will run the basic apps you'll be creating at school. I say, go for it!

7. ZT280 A9 10" Pad about £120. Not as good as the iPad, no, but the iPad isn't three times better either ......

8. dogpile

dogpile New commenter

That looks interesting as its running 4.0 because you've got flash support and a tablet friendly os. Plus the capacitive screen is a major improvement on most the resistive screens on cheap models. But I couldn't find one review from a reputable source. Can you access the Play store for example: most of the previous cheap tablets can't and it makes them pretty useless if you want to exploit the huge range of free apps out there. Maybe try one out first. What chance of any warranty!

9. Indeed there's a wide difference between buying them personally and buying them for a school.
    As regards the Play Store - I can definitely access it - in the sense that it loads up and displays stuff but I haven't tried to buy anything from it.
    In what sense did it not work ? A lot of the old tablets did have a limited access to Market, but the homebrew versions worked round that.

10. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I just bought two of these for my children.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_1

I looked on Amazon and saw the cheaper tablets had loads of bad or mixed reviews. My elder daughter wanted an Ipad but there was no way we could afford one for her and her sister. They are very pleased with them and we can access Play Store no problem.

I think that about 100 pounds is just the right price for a decent tablet, anything cheaper and it won't do the job, anything more expensive just seems a rip off! I also felt happier buying a brand I had heard of before.

11. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Oh dear, I only went on Amazon earlier to copy and paste a link to the tablets I bought. Then I saw that the covers were really cheaply priced with very good reviews and ended up buying two of these:

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_13

12. Actually you can get £100 Android tablets that aren't far off iPad or Galaxy tab and the gap is closing all the time. I get mine from GTR Electronics (I am not him honest).

13. moscowbore

moscowbore Established commenter

You do not need an android device. The Android SDK runs fine on my school pcs. I then copy the app to an android phone and watch the faces light up when their app says "Hello World".

14. It should be possible to get cheap old unwanted Android 2.3 phones. It's even better to run it on he real thing.

However, this isn't programming. It's dragging and dropping GUI objects onto a screen. If you actually want them to do something .....